Talk

Advanced search

My 14 month old cant crawl walk or bum shuffle!

(14 Posts)
Browniesmum Mon 20-May-13 15:08:07

My 14 month old son is still not crawling bum shuffling or walking, he lacks balance and quite easily falls over. He will pull himself up to standing when I hold his hands but won't do it on his own against things. Whenever he gets onto all 4s he immediately collapses and straightens out onto his belly. He also hates being on his stomach. I'm really worried about him anyone else going through similar? He had ventriculomegaly when I was pregnant but it was only mild and 95% of kids are absolutely fine. He's been refered to a neurologist as he lacks some vital reflexes. And is due to start physio soon. He doesn't say any words yet and only just beginning to mimic hand gestures. :-(

ladythatlunches Mon 20-May-13 18:09:28

Hi Brownie, it's so worrying isn't it.

My 17 month old twins aren't walking yet, twin 1 will cruise the furniture but twin 2 won't weight bare at all.

I have been to the doctors and HV and they are rendering her to a pediatrician. She did a development check on her and seams ok in that department.

It's so stressful but just wanted to let you know you are not on your own.

mummy2benji Mon 20-May-13 22:30:53

How is his development otherwise? Was he sitting at roughly around the expected time, and lifting his head up from fairly early on? If he hasn't been overly floppy and has been otherwise fairly normal in his motor development, this may be absolutely nothing to worry about. As a baby, my brother and I both only started to walk at 18mo, after never having crawled or bum-shuffled. And yes we are entirely normal now ( hmm ) and both always been very sporty so co-ordination not a problem. My dh is an orthopaedic surgeon and children are only usually referred to him if they aren't walking by the age of 2yo. Up until then it is considered delayed but not necessarily outside the 'normal' range. The neurologist will be the best person to examine him and give you advice.

Browniesmum Tue 21-May-13 10:12:06

No he only started sitting independently around 10 months old as he would always fall over I couldn't leave him alone for one second as he'd topple over. Apparently his lack of balance is to do with his missing reflexes. he has a babinksi reflex and also a vertical parachute reflex. He was lifting his head fine though. When we hold his hands he does walk but he's very wobbly and tends to step on each of his feet. He's only just in the last month or so rolled both ways, before then was only from his back to his front (apparently the harder way). I can't see him crawling or walking anytime soon. Such a worry! If he wants something he will reach as far as he can and if he can't reach it he gets very frustrated. :-(

Browniesmum Tue 21-May-13 10:14:30

Also lady that lunches ..... At his development check he's on track with some areas but in others at age of a 10 month old. Il have to let you know what happens at all his appointments, I have a physiotherapist involved soon, a neurologist and blood tests for chromosome tests and muscle enzymes. Someone has mentioned he may be hypermobile? His limbs almost bend the wrong way.

ladythatlunches Tue 21-May-13 11:07:46

My twins didn't sit unaided till 10 months.

I have heard of hyper mobility .. it's best just to let the right people have a look. I hope he is up and running and driving you nuts very soon.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Tue 21-May-13 13:01:06

My son in hypermobile. He didn't roll until 14 months. He walked at 17 months but didn't crawl until 21 months! He refused to weight bear until around 16 months and i had to teach him to stand himself up at around 18 months. He never pulled to standing.

He is 3 now and still slightly coordinated but zips around on his scooter, rides a trike and can even jump with both feet off the ground!

IWillOnlyEatBeans Tue 21-May-13 13:01:36

*uncoordinated!

Browniesmum Tue 21-May-13 20:22:20

Oh that's really encouraging to hear, thanks! Lets hope jack will follow that same path! Is the coordination caused by anything? Doesn't it seem literally everyone around you with a baby the same age is walking reciting the alphabet backwards etc lol!

beabea81 Tue 21-May-13 21:13:47

hiya i know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much at this stage. my dd didn't sit unaided til 9/10 months, didn't crawl til 13 months & then didn't walk til 17 months. i was told by hv & gp she was still well within "normal" range & they wouldn't worry unless she got to age 2 & wasn't at all mobile. now at 2 she is running around like her friends, but she is still pretty uncoordinated & trips really easily. i guess some kids just are!

my friend's dd is hypermobile & she didn't walk til 21 months, i think it's pretty common, just doesn't feel that way when you see all the other kids their age speed crawling / walking / running about & your lo is still sat there next to you on the floor! you're right to get things checked out just in case, but i'm sure before you know it he'll be off & you'll be baby proofing everything! : ) xx

ladythatlunches Wed 22-May-13 08:22:19

I feel the same. Every other kids the same age are running climbing and I get asked "oh they not walking yet" .. yeah they just dont want to while your here smile

curiousgeorgie Wed 22-May-13 09:30:53

My DD has hyper mobility and didn't crawl until 18 months and didn't walk until she was 2.

She's 2.5 now and still can't climb or jump but is strides ahead in speech and other skills. I think because she was sat there unable to move much she worked on other things. She could count to 30 by age 2 and knew all her shapes and colours really early. They loved her at her 2 year check and said she's as intelligent as a 4 year old...

It's so worrying though, I remember crying my eyes out about her lack of crawling and always feeling like the odd one out at soft play.

Browniesmum Wed 22-May-13 12:36:09

Haha il use that one ladythatlunches ;-)

Hypermobility doesn't really sound that bad so I hope it's that! He's not really saying either though which is a concern. He's always been laid back and easy though, as you say he may just be taking it all in like your lo. He's actually just started to commando crawl today! :-) its a start

ladythatlunches Wed 22-May-13 16:35:12

Ahhh my dc3 commando crawled. Never heard of it before and was like wjat in earth is she doing. Thought her legs weren't working. Ha ha.

She got about very fast doing it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now