Talk

Advanced search

Is this too harsh?

(9 Posts)
rabbitrabbit Tue 23-May-06 11:43:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Carmenere Tue 23-May-06 11:45:07

Overthinking - he's old enough to realise that he shouldn't draw on the carpet and he is old enough to get the basic concept of consequences imo

rabbitrabbit Tue 23-May-06 11:46:51

Thanks! That was exactly what I was thinking-I want him to know there's consequences and that was the best way of proving that

Caligula Tue 23-May-06 11:47:51

I don't think he is old enough to realise he can't draw on the carpet. A carpet isn't a speaker. Or a sofa. Or a wall. Or a table. Tiresome though it is, every single bit of furniture has to be explained to them at that age.

Maybe you could make it a little activity with him, take him round the house and show him all the things he mustn't draw on, and give him paper to let him know that he can draw on that. Be very emphatic that sofa = no, no no, paper = yes, clever boy! So he gets the message!

Carmenere Tue 23-May-06 11:49:04

Good idea Caligula!

tracyk Tue 23-May-06 11:50:13

I've not said to my ds what he can't draw on - just that he can ONLY draw on paper. Goes ok - till he draws on my vat return!
How upset was he about not getting to soft play?
Maybe a bit harsh as no warning leading up to punishment?
Punishment was taking crayons away from him.

rabbitrabbit Tue 23-May-06 11:52:27

Hi Caligula, thanks for that.
I have, to be fair, explained that he can only draw on paper and I've just spoke to him and he does seem to understand that he doesn't draw on anything other than paper-to be honest it was a real surprise that he did it as he hasn't tended to do anything like that.

I'm going to take him to the park later to make us both feel better

oliveoil Tue 23-May-06 11:54:47

I think it was a bit harsh, but I am a softie.

I would have told him off and done the lecture thing (only paper etc) and then still taken him to the play centre.

We only have drawing stuff on the table in the playroom so I can keep my eagle eye on activities.

rabbitrabbit Tue 23-May-06 11:59:58

OK, at risk of you all thinking I'm a nutter I am taking him to the play centre.
We had a chat and I explained about the crayons etc so we're both happy!

I'm a softie as well which is why I posted-glad there's some more out there.
Thanks again

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: