Talk

Advanced search

3 3/4 year old massive tantrums

(10 Posts)
Slothlorien Fri 17-May-13 15:25:26

I am at the end of my tether. I thought we were through all of this. He keeps losing it over nothing screaming, kicking, inconsolable. I keep having to put him in his room to calm down. He just screams. Not fair on the others. I feel like screaming too. confused

Slothlorien Fri 17-May-13 15:25:59

He's starting school in sept and will never cope.

RunsWithScissors Fri 17-May-13 15:29:04

My DD has just started the same (same age too).

Not sure, but think its related to her thinking that being "a big girl" about to dtart school that she now gets to make decisions regarding bathtime, bed, etc.

I've also been putting her into her room to calm down. Seems lack of audience/ seeing its getting her nowhere is starting to work.

Hang in there.

RunsWithScissors Fri 17-May-13 15:30:54

Gah, start school, and it's

Said child is wriggling around on my lap, as she's poorly today.

CreatureRetorts Fri 17-May-13 21:02:17

Maybe he's tired? Hungry? What sets him off exactly?

Slothlorien Fri 17-May-13 21:28:41

Anything sets him off, usually not getting his own way about something. He was ill on tues so maybe still not right. sad

wiltingfast Sat 18-May-13 22:36:19

God mine is like this too. Have actually requested a cognitive assessment at this stage. Just requires high end management to keep his behaviour on track and there's always at least one major meltdown. Mine has speech issues. Getting better but not catching up they said.

No real advice. We use countdowns for obv triggers like leaving playground etc. We also not only tell him what he is doing wrong but what he should do instead, eg don't scream when you drop your spoon, say mummy, can you give me back my spoon. Etc. Acknowledge his feelings, eg I can see you are angry, disappointed etc.

All else fails he goes in hall or if really bad his room.

Slothlorien Sun 19-May-13 14:33:24

Draining isn't it. Soldier on.

tanfastic Sun 19-May-13 20:13:10

Mine used to have massive tantrums every single day. Started at nine months old, ended at four and a half. sad

I had four years of utter hell with ds. Had visions of him being excluded before he left reception and all sorts. He was an absolute horror. Me and dh tried everything, came on here regularly seeking advice. Anyway then some kind of miracle happened. They just eased off and eventually stopped. He's a bloody delight now.

I think he just emotionally matured and school has definitely helped. No words of wisdom I'm afraid but I definitely think he will grow out of it. Just try and remain sane in the meantime. grin

Slothlorien Mon 20-May-13 14:21:42

Thanku tanfastic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now