Talk

Advanced search

Is this safe?

(11 Posts)
Teatimecakes Thu 16-May-13 19:00:49

Ds is 6.5 months old and sleeps with a cuski comforter. We followed the instructions and I slept with it for 2 nights to cover it in eau de mummy and he loves it - has slept loads better in in own room since having it.

The problem is he loves it so much he can't fall asleep without covering his entire face with it! This makes me worried that he will suffocate under it. Am I being a bit nuts here? Or is this ok for them to sleep with their whole face covered? Anxious FTM here! Thanks in advance x

EarnestDullard Thu 16-May-13 19:20:49

Can you remove it once he's asleep, or maybe even pull it down so it's just over his chest? I don't think I'd be keen on leaving his face covered tbh.

Teatimecakes Thu 16-May-13 19:33:48

I can move it once asleep but when he wakes during the night he uses it to soothe himself back off to sleep and I find him with his face covered again

Teatimecakes Thu 16-May-13 19:37:35

I can move it once asleep but when he wakes during the night he uses it to soothe himself back off to sleep and I find him with his face covered again.

Lookslikerain Thu 16-May-13 20:43:33

I'm not sure what a cuski comforter is but my DS has always used a muslin cloth as a comforter. He's 3 now and still has one. I think he was about 3/4 months when he started with it. We always used to find him with his entire head covered and it used to scare me. I would wait for him to sleep then sneak in and take it off his head, but by morning he'd have put it back again. He was still feeding through the night, so I'd feed him, wait for him to fall asleep again then try and move the muslin. It was daft as I was up for ages more than I needed to be! I gave up and he survived to tell the tale! also muslins are so thin it was quite unlikely he'd have suffocated but I was too sleep deprived to realise this

beckslovestimmy Thu 16-May-13 22:33:36

My DD loves to comfort herself with a muslin over her head (she's 4months old) a few other babies in our baby group do too. Their very thin so should be fine. DD also has a donkey with a small square of fleece attached which she does the same with.

Teatimecakes Thu 16-May-13 22:40:09

Thanks - a cuski is thin comforter. Basically a head shape with a fabric body. Dh is sure it must be safe as the box says it can be used from birth. The idea of his face being covered doesn't sit well with me

Meringue33 Sat 18-May-13 08:23:29

Could you give him something smaller? We have a comforter like that, says "can be used from birth" but then I read the small print which said "under adult supervision". So I'm going to use a different one, a small animal with no cloth square, instead.

Thurlow Sat 18-May-13 08:28:25

DD has a comfort blanket and did from that age too. She sometimes like to cover her face as well. I used to watch her sleep and see that she would remove the blanket if it started to bother her over her face.

MiaowTheCat Sat 18-May-13 09:38:57

DD1 had a sleepytot toy to hold her dummy from about the 4 month mark with no problems - indeed she'd stick the bunny on her nose so she was kissing him, and flick his ears up over her eyes like a blindfold to get to sleep.

I tend to take the view that if they're lifting their heads up and rolling and wriggling around a bit, and the cot isn't jam packed with cuddly toys - by then they'll be ok.

Teatimecakes Sat 18-May-13 21:16:05

Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now