Talk

Advanced search

mummy mummy mummy

(9 Posts)
SarahAJ Thu 16-May-13 15:25:46

My two and a half year old son calls me every time I am out of his sight. When I reply or pop back where he can see me he either ignores me completely or just says "mummy" again.

I always tell him where in the house I will be (for example "mummy will just be in the kitchen cooking dinner. I'll be right back.") but he still insists on calling me constantly.

I don't want to ignore him as it would make him insecure but its getting to the point where I can't do anything without him shouting after me and its getting annoying.

Any ideas why this is or how I can stop him doing it? If its normal, thats fine.

Thank you!!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 16-May-13 15:35:39

My three year old does this - if I know she knows where I am I just tune it out :-)

OhGood Thu 16-May-13 15:36:09

I remember this! Was insanely annoying

Does he ever come and find you?

And when you pop back and see him is he just happily playing away?

Will he come to you if you're in another room and you call him?

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 16-May-13 15:38:30

If u believe him to be safe, u probably aren't bu to ignore it a bit. I do. Of course if I ignore dd1 whose 2 and a half she then shouts for me by my actual name. I really hate that.

SarahAJ Thu 16-May-13 16:04:54

OhGood

Yes he does come and find me if I try and ignore him. If i pop back he is always happily playing (perhaps he isn't calling me at all.....now I think I'm hearing things lol!?!)

He does normally come if I ask him to or he'll go silent so I check on him anyway.

Toddlers need to write a book on some of these behaviours!!

Very grateful for all your advice. Nice to jnow I'm not the only one. Xx

mel191187 Thu 16-May-13 21:51:59

My two and half year old does this aswell! So annoying glad it's not just me

OhGood Sat 18-May-13 11:26:03

I watched DD from behind a door and found that she would call me as a reflex if she got stuck doing something - so any tiny minor frustration she would be wailing despairingly 'Mummy mummy mummy'. This helped me to ignore her a bit more.

I also taught her to say 'Help' when she got stuck, instead of the constant 'mummmeeeeee'. And actually if she ever got in real trouble she would cry, not call.

No concrete advice, sorry, this largely just passed with DD and I don't know why. I think you have to just keep on with what you're doing, but for your own sanity increase the ignoring and maybe substitute more regular popping back to check?

wiltingfast Sat 18-May-13 22:05:42

God it is wearisome isn't it. Both of mine hate me going upstairs for some reason and congregate at the bottom going mummy mummy and if I'm really unlucky they go mummy mummy my mummy which I find harder to ignore for some reason. (2 and 3yo)

If I find a solution I'll let you know.

wiltingfast Sat 18-May-13 22:06:56

Btw I do ignore it a lot of the time. We've open plan though so really mainly an issue when I go upstairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now