Talk

Advanced search

Do you use toy-rotation? :)

(9 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Thu 16-May-13 08:14:51

I want to!

littleraysofsunshine Thu 16-May-13 08:16:07

I want to sort into options just so not ALL the toys are out. My dds have a lot of nice stuff. Wooden toys, kitchen, puzzles Etc etc. I need a toy rotation to help as they seem over whelmed by all the toys I think

MiaowTheCat Thu 16-May-13 08:52:32

I have one of those HUGE storage crates of toys which I keep the lid on since DD1 is going through the whole box-emptying thing at the moment, and I decant a few toys at a time into a smaller plastic stacker for her to help herself to... she gets to do her whole box emptying thing - I get to see SOME of the lounge carpet.

MiaSparrow Thu 16-May-13 09:28:47

Good idea, Miaow. I might try something like that.

One thing I picked up from DD's playgroup is to use those plastic zip files to keep all the wooden shape puzzles together. That's been a revelation since they're no longer all muddled up.

ChazDingle Sat 18-May-13 07:52:30

i used to find that when we had all the toys out DS would just sort of throw them about and not really play with anything. Now we just have a few out and I swap them round every saturday and he gets really excited about 'new toys'. I'm not too strict on it, If theres something he's been playing with loads in the week then i'll keep that out again, also if he specifically asks during the week to play with something thats not out then i'll get that out for him

hotbot Sat 18-May-13 08:48:36

Yes , and they are themed...... I am very anal.

MiaowTheCat Sat 18-May-13 09:35:38

I basically hit tolerance limit with various battery operated instruments of torture and rotate them on the basis of which one has driven me up the wall longest ago as well. I find rotating toys means that things that have lots of bits like shape sorters etc are less likely to lose pieces because when it gets to tidying up time you're more likely to put things away carefully than just chuck everything back in a box.

I do the zip files for jigsaws thing as well - also number the actual wooden base and all the pieces the same in case they get muddled and you can work out which jigsaw is which (so all the jungle animals jigsaws have a number 5 on the back or whatever)... but I used to be a reception teacher and that's why I picked it up.

Nevercan Sat 18-May-13 09:39:31

I use pop up boxes with lids from The Works and bring out a different box each day which seems to work. One has Lego, one has barbies etc.

redwellybluewelly Sat 18-May-13 21:35:21

Yes. We also have a box of toys upstairs and one in the front room which I switch around.

I do need to encourage her to play with toys though, left to her own devices she just chews stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now