Talk

Advanced search

14 months and no teeth

(15 Posts)
Mrpip Wed 15-May-13 18:25:39

The title says it all. My dd is 14 months and has no teeth. I'm not concerned as I'm sure they will all appear in the end but I've never experienced this before. My 4 other children all had their first teeth around the 6 months mark so this is a bit new to me. Anyone's else had late teeth developers?

Mrpip Wed 15-May-13 18:32:34

Just to add I'm quite liking one less child's teeth to brush/chivvy to brush.
And one less "walk of shame" in the dentist! Took ds2 14ys to the orthodontist today and actually felt quite jolly about dd lack of teeth!

notapizzaeater Wed 15-May-13 18:33:31

Ds was about 18 months and 4 came overnight - 2 front and 2 back all on the same day !

Dd was 14 months when she got two then another 2 at 16 months - full mouth by 2 and she was such an easy teether. Ds got two at 4 months 2 at five 2 at 6 .. now 18 months and still a noisy greety teether. Cherish the gummyness grin

MiaowTheCat Wed 15-May-13 18:45:49

13 months here and we've had two white bumps on her bottom gum for a good two months now - hurting her like mad, making my life hell and just sitting there impotently taunting me! Will they FUCK come through!

iklboo Wed 15-May-13 19:26:35

DS was my little gummy bear until he was about 16 months. He's 7 now & his milk set is STILL not wobbly.

Pythonesque Wed 15-May-13 20:27:39

I think at some age a dentist would want to check a toddler with no teeth - perhaps 18 months but I'm not sure. I believe the timing of teeth coming through tends to be similar in families - my two were 9 and 10 months with their first teeth for instance - so actually in the case of a 5th child with teeth so much delayed compared to siblings it might be worth seeing a dentist sooner. What they can do is take an x-ray to confirm that teeth are present and developing normally. Obviously they don't want to xray lots of children, but there can be some causes of delayed teeth that are important to find out about!

If you can feel teeth starting to come through then that's probably no worry at all. If no sign of them then if you are able to ask a dentist they might have a look and say, 'come back if there's no teeth in x months' and we'll investigate, or something like that.

BabiesAreLikeBuses Thu 16-May-13 22:58:57

Sounds great, my dd only had 2 at that age and didn't get last ones til she was 3. She could talk by then and ask for pain relief. Much easier than guessing. Ds teethed earlier and many more tears and stressful nights.

Ragusa Fri 17-May-13 14:02:27

I agree with pythonesque. I think it wouldn't hurt to see a dentist.

Mrpip Fri 17-May-13 18:22:16

Thanks for your replys. I did infact mention it to the orthodontist when I was there and she said she would only X-ray if dd had no teeth at 2yrs. I'm not actually concerned. It's just not something I'd experienced before so was interested in how many late teethers were out there.
I agree pyphoneque, when A baby's development is so different (particulally in a large family) to its siblings it's worth checking out. In our case our dd is adopted so I was more going by what I have experienced with our other children and the babies I've known in general around teething. Hearing everyone's comments I can see there are lots of late teethers out there.

MiaowTheCat Fri 17-May-13 19:16:26

HV told me that if they teethe late they tend to do so with a lot at once. Managed to get a good look at DD1's mouth today (she's been very cagey about letting you have a look) and the poor girl's got the two I knew about (bottom centre) coming through, also the top centre pair and then two next out on the bottom.

No wonder I've been complaining she's mildly grouchy! Poor bairn's being a trooper really!

CrystalQueen Fri 17-May-13 21:25:44

My dd got her first tooth at 15 months. I asked my dentist when she was about 1 and he replied "are you sure, no white bumps on her gums?". I did in fact know what teeth were.
In the end her molars came in first.

ilovevenice Sat 18-May-13 18:11:44

We only discovered our Ds2 was a late teether because he came to the dentist with the older one. She referred him to Guys to see the paediatric dental consultant. I thought it was a bit OTT but he (consultant) said she was right to refer because late teeth can (v rarely) signify various conditions and should be checked out. NB He wasn't keen on x-rays but was able to palpate DS2's gums and could tell the teeth were there. DS2 still hasn't got all his teeth (at 2.4) but they're not worried. And funnily enough the consultant's own DD didn't have a single tooth til she was 2!

ilovevenice Sat 18-May-13 18:12:44

Sorry forgot to say he was 16 months with no teeth.

Tiggles Sat 18-May-13 22:28:21

When DS2 was nearly 2 he was missing several of his front teeth (had the ones at the sides). They were going to x-ray to check that his adult teeth were present after he had his second birthday. Within a week his milk teeth appeared and x-ray was no longer needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now