Talk

Advanced search

How to get 2.2yo dd to do more for herself?

(5 Posts)
DIYandEatCake Wed 15-May-13 14:39:12

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but it's driving me a bit nuts either way. Dd is a pretty normal 2yo and in many ways quite capable, but she doesn't play much with toys. For example, she asks to do drawing, I get the paper and crayons out, she holds a crayon out and says 'mummy do it'. I draw things and scribble myself, praise her if she has a little go, but she just wants to watch me do it. If i set her up with something and then leave after a while to do some chores she just cries. Ditto puzzles, duplo, blocks, play dough, sandpit, her toy farm... I'd love her to be able to occupy herself a bit more and I worry she's missing out on developing skills and will get left behind her peers. Her little friend the same age will sit for ages colouring or doing puzzles or playing, and seems really content with herself, dd seems restless and frustrated in comparison and I wonder if it's something I'm doing/not doing.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Wed 15-May-13 14:45:14

Pretty normal IMO. I used to sit down and do whatever they wanted, then slope off when they were engaged. I think if you try to persuade them they just resist, they can sense you want to get away. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

The bit about 'worried she will get behind' - that is really unnecessary fretting, maybe she just likes your company! Seriously, not all babies are the same, so stop comparing.

TheCountessOlenska Wed 15-May-13 14:50:12

Oh Dd was.just like this at 2 - i had to sit and do whatever with her, and she just wasn't that interested in toys. She's just turned 3 and much much better now - crayons, looks through her books, loads of imaginative play/ dressing up. It's great grin Yours will get there soon smile

fififrog Thu 16-May-13 21:06:20

My DD is the same age and exactly the same. Weirdly fiercely independent in many ways but always wants me to draw for her, attention span of a gnat, usually gives up on eating unless fed when she will wolf it down. She seems pretty similar to her little friends to me, if on the high maintenance side, regarding being provided with mew entertainments, but then she always has been so it doesn't bother me.... Ok I lie, it's a pain, but it doesn't worry me

orangeandemons Thu 16-May-13 21:10:17

My dd is still like this at 7. She still wants me to play with her! I tried everything for a bit of freedom, but nothing really worked. She is just made that way.

I still struggle to get dressed without her wanting me now. I have always just managed to get, knickers and jeans on without fail. Am ALWAYS struggling with bra when I get 'mum dee'. Even now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now