Talk

Advanced search

Shoes for 11 month-old

(9 Posts)
IpsyUpsyDaisyDo Tue 14-May-13 21:46:39

Pfb DD is nearly 11 months and has started tearing around with her walker and holding onto fingers, really enjoying herself. Up until now she's only been in socks or bare feet, should she be wearing shoes now she's walking? Sorry if this is an obvious question!

fififrog Tue 14-May-13 21:54:22

I found it easier to get some shoes for my DD when she started walking better because she kept wanting to walk outside (chase pigeons etc). I would suggest you get what are usually called cruisers or similar - clarks, startrite both do them and there are othe fancier brands eg, bobux. But basically the soles are much softer. I found a lot of the shoes from next etc have very solid soles. DDs first shoes were actually clarks cruiser slippers as they were half the price of the shoes! If she has little feet, given it's "summer" you could try some of those suede-bottomed pram shoes but my DD's feet were already too big for them when she started walking (at 9.5 months! She has enormous feet!)

heidihole Tue 14-May-13 21:58:51

I use leather shoes like from www.dottyfish.com much cheaper than shoes and keep their socks on, protect from stubbed toes or whatever and look cute without damaging or restricting their little feet.

shoes aren't recommend until they are walking regulalry outside.

Apronlady Tue 14-May-13 22:00:14

Theres no rush. Better for their feet not to wear shoes until they have walking unaided for about 6 weeks. It's better for the bones in their feet to develop without the constraint of shoes.

Cruising shoes are good if she is walking holding your fingers outside. In the house I would say go shoe-less.

Bunbaker Tue 14-May-13 22:00:32

Babies don't need shoes until they have been walking independently ie not holding on to anything, for at least six weeks.

BikeRunSki Tue 14-May-13 22:08:50

I second what Apronlady and Bunbaker have said. Both my DC were shoeless until they had been walking unaided for weeks, but had these Bical Socks for outdoors. The rubber soles are really flexi but grippy.

IpsyUpsyDaisyDo Tue 14-May-13 22:34:26

Thanks for the responses and advice, I did wonder how shoes might affect the bones so it's helpful to have the guide of walking unaided for 6 weeks before its time to get some for her. We do have a pair of those soft leather slippers, so I might try her on those... I do love her chubby little feet though! grin

brettgirl2 Fri 17-May-13 18:21:50

I really wouldn't worry too much about the 6 week thing. The cruiser shoes are really soft anyway. Just make sure she isn't wearing them all the time.

theaveragebear1983 Fri 17-May-13 20:58:51

Try some mocc ons, (leather soled socks) until she is regularly walking outside, perhaps some wellies for occasional use in the garden etc. Shoes are so expensive, and they used to say no shoes until they had been walking confidently for a month. Now the shoe shops will sell any baby shoes if mum/dad requests, which will surely lead to a generation of bunion pain and twisted little geisha feet. Save your money and wait til she really needs them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now