Talk

Advanced search

tick or twitch or eye problem?

(4 Posts)
noyouhavehadawee Tue 14-May-13 13:23:36

DS is 6, he has had funny little quirks in past where by he constantly squeezed his head up to his neck or rubbed his ear on his shoulder, the last 2/3 days I have noticed he keeps doing this big eye thing - like he is staring at something and going big eyed - does this make sense ? Like the way I perhaps would if I was looking at him to warn him not to do anything - anyway I have asked him why he doing it and he doesn't know what im on about though I observed him in my rear view mirror today and he did it a fair number of times. Should I ignore, take him to the opticians or what - is this just the norm? I don't want to handle it all wrong but I suspect if hes done it all day at school his teacher may have noticed. He says his yes and sight are fine. Your advice would be appreciated. smile

summer111 Tue 14-May-13 17:50:46

From your description, it sounds like your ds has a motor tic which is actually quite common in children, particularly boys. These are unconscious movements which can be simple or more complex in nature. Simple tics include sniffing, blinking, neck stretching etc. They commonly appear at your ds's age and often disappear after a few weeks. They can come and go through childhood but most kids outgrow their tics. I would suggest you do not make an issue of it with ds as he will only become self conscious. There is plenty of information about simple tics online that you can review.

noyouhavehadawee Wed 15-May-13 08:07:03

Thank you for taking the time to reply smile

mummy2benji Wed 15-May-13 08:12:21

My ds1 used to have a tic where he would blink but scrunch his eyes and nose up for a second. This was when he was about 3yo and his nursery commented on it. I wondered if his hair was getting in his eyes so had his hair cut but that didn't seem to make a difference. We asked the nursery not to mention it to him so as not to make a big deal of it, and it settled within a couple of months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now