Talk

Advanced search

Two and a bit year old

(8 Posts)
justmeunderanothername Mon 13-May-13 16:33:48

Just wondering, do you do much to channel a toddler's aggressive play into more gentle behaviour? I don't mean violence towards other kids, my DS is generally very good, but more the pretending to smash toy cars into things, into toy figures and so on?

I have a tendancy to just let him get on with it as I think it's pretty normal behaviour but wondered what others do at this age?

pipsqueakz Mon 13-May-13 17:56:33

Hi my ds is 2 and half and also quite destructive at times. He is a lovely little boy and very caring but does have a rough streak at times more so when he is tired. Maybe frustration? I don't think its anything to worry about. Think he's just getting off steam.

pipsqueakz Mon 13-May-13 17:57:35

Getting meaning letting sorry for typo.

justmeunderanothername Thu 16-May-13 11:35:28

Thank you. I just wondered if this kind of play was 'normal' for a two and a bit year old. I am personally ok with it but had a situation where someone else was attempting to stop him from driving a toy car into something and telling him that the figure he had crashed into was dead which I thought was probably more weird than a two year old pretending to crash a car?

pipsqueakz Thu 16-May-13 12:51:03

I agree, don't worry bout it its normal two year old thing (have 3 dc's) youngest same age as urs. Think there just working out their emotions. Will grow out of it.

rrreow Thu 16-May-13 14:01:25

I think it's normal. They learn about the world through play and it's actually probably great that he's trying this out through his toys, rather than channeling it at people. It's the reason we got DS a doll, so that when DC2 arrives he can take out his feelings (either positive or negative.. however well intentioned a 2y-o loving hug is probably a bit much for a real baby to take.. grin) on the doll instead of on the baby.

justmeunderanothername Thu 16-May-13 14:39:00

Thank you. Sometimes I feel like he is being interpreted as being too loud, too aggressive, to 'Ta-DAH - here I am'.
we want him to feel free enough to express himself but do teach him to be gentle, and do stop him from hitting etc.

It's hard when he has other family children of the same age who seem to be more placid and therefore looked upon as more 'good'.

pipsqueakz Thu 16-May-13 15:50:26

There all unique and all be fine. He's just expressing himself and that's healthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now