Talk

Advanced search

Help - 16 month old sleep gone to pot and new baby on the way

(5 Posts)
Caterpillar0 Sun 12-May-13 20:24:12

DS (16 months) was a bad sleeper once upon a time but has been pretty good for several months now. This week he has suddenly started playing up - lots of crying at bedtime, won't settle, wakes up a lot. I'm expecting another baby any minute and am at a bit of a loss. We've never done cry-it-out or anything similar but now I'm wondering if this is the only option, since we need a fix fast... Then again with the upheaval to come, this could be a really bad idea.
Any advice on resolving sleep problems much appreciated. I don't know if the pat-and-shhh would work because DS stands up in his cot screaming and throws himself about when I try and lie him down.

CreatureRetorts Sun 12-May-13 21:32:53

Teeth?

Development leap? What works on getting him to sleep? 16 months is still so tiny so I couldn't CIO (I have a 3.6 year old and 17 month old). My youngest has phases of bad sleep - I think her molars are playing up.

Caterpillar0 Mon 13-May-13 00:24:48

Could be teeth. We haven't had any teeth trouble to date so I guess we're due our turn. Bedtime is bath, stories, milk, cuddles. He usually goes into the cot awake. If he wakes during the night we'll give him a cuddle and let him sleep on us for a bit. Usually works but not this week. If it's later in the night I'll just bring him into bed with us, which also worked until thr last few days. I'm paranoid he is

Caterpillar0 Mon 13-May-13 00:26:46

Oops
...playing up because he senses change around the corner.

CreatureRetorts Mon 13-May-13 10:33:48

He might be if you're talking it up a lot?

TBH, he'll be unsettled when new baby arrives which you might find a shock, just be prepared and cut yourself and him some slack. It was quite an upheaval for our DS when his sister arrived. We kept to his routine as much as possible which helped especially when it came to bedtime and naps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now