Talk

Advanced search

Really need help! My 7month old wont sleep!

(16 Posts)
LauraJadey Sat 11-May-13 20:44:05

Hi,
I'm new here, this is literally My first thread! I've joined because I simply don't know what else to do.
I have a 7 month old son. He has NEVER slept through, ever.
When he was newborn, he was always waking up every 3 hours which is understandable... The passed 3 months he has been waking every hour.
I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of.
I moved him into he's own room, changed he's diet, changed heat settings, changed clothes, changed comforter's, changed routine but he is just getting worse!!
I tried controlled crying because he was still wanting milk during the night which he didn't need and this lasted 2 nights (he still woke up 5-6 times throught the night) and now no matter how hard we try, he will wake up wanting a drink of either milk, juice or water then he'll go back to sleep for another hour.
I put him in he's cot awake so he can fall asleep on he's own! He feeds really well during the day, he has 4 meals and some porridge before bed.

I have a 5 year old daughter who he is constantly waking with the crying too, I'm also 6 months pregnant (yes - very quick I know!) and NEED him to sleep better before this baby comes!
I can't take anymore, I really can't.

Thank you xx

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 11-May-13 20:46:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LauraJadey Sat 11-May-13 20:55:25

Thank you - will look into that!
We tried it a couple of months ago and got way too attached to it, I needed to stop it especially with the new baby coming!

He does sleep a lot better when he's with us but with my ever-growing bump, it's just not possible anymore without me or my parter losing sleep through lack of room!! Xx

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 11-May-13 20:59:45

Mamabear12 Sat 11-May-13 22:13:46

The problem is, he is getting all his feeds at night!! U need to wean him off night feeds and make sure you feed him during the day. Plus routine is key. Make sure you do nice bath routine around 6pm in nice warm water, hotter than Luke warm, massage baby during or after. When ur in baby room at 6:15 keep lights dim, read book after u put pjs on. Give milk by 6:40pm and put down 7pm. Bc ur baby is so used to waking in night, u will need to give baby a top up feed at 11pm. After that, DO NOT feed him until at earliest 5am. It might be tough for the first few days. But u must do this. Also, controlled crying starts to work after 3 days or so. Nip this problem in the bud now. Make sure during day u give plenty milk and food so at night baby is not making up for it. Ur baby is so used to Drinking at night. It takes a few days to break habit.

Mamabear12 Sat 11-May-13 22:15:48

Forgot to mention, gradually push back the morning feed from let's say if baby wakes 5am, to 6pm and then a few days later push to 7pm. After that, u need to work on dropping 11pm feed. By 7 months ur baby should be sleeping 7pm to 7am.

CreatureRetorts Sat 11-May-13 22:19:12

What milk does he get in the day? I would cut down solids (5 meals a day sounds too much) and get more milk in there. He could have tummy ache or something.

stargirl1701 Sat 11-May-13 22:22:22

Could it be silent reflux?

ballroomblitz Sat 11-May-13 22:32:46

I would also cut down the meals. Really a baby of that age should only be getting three meals. There's more calories in milk than food so maybe a bit hungry? I think about 20oz or so, maybe more depending on much food they are taking during the day is about right.

Do you follow a routine during the day and before bed?

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 11-May-13 22:40:15

LauraJadey Sat 11-May-13 22:54:30

Yeah he's gone right off he's milk, I'll maybe manage to get 6pz in him a day! (Straight from the bottle) but in total a day, I mix about 8oz in with his porridge or rice ect.
During the night when I give him the bottle, he will literally only have a sip or two and go back to sleep so he definitely doesn't need it!
I've tried replacing one/two of he's meals with milk (i have to starve him before he will take any) but he's constantly throwing it up!

I have wondered about the reflux, he sleeps in a baby pillow to prop him up a little because he always used to get sick in he's mouth which he used to swallow, then have a coughing fit!
Apparently the controlled crying is safe for babies over 6 months according to my health visitor smile xxx

LauraJadey Sat 11-May-13 22:57:53

Mammabear, that sounds good! He has quite a good routine, he used to go to bed when I did at 11pm but we've dropped that down to 7.30pm so we start he's routine at 6pm (quiet time, bath, porridge, cuddle and bed)
Will deffo replace some of he's meals with milk because he's definitely not getting enough by the sounds of it! Xxx

ballroomblitz Sat 11-May-13 23:02:33

I don't think sleep sounds like the main problem here but it's food/possible reflux impacting on his sleep. Have you ever been to the gp about it to get that thickener stuff/gaviscon? Have never had a reflux baby myself just what friends have mentioned so not up to speed with it.
Also sounds like maybe he isn't getting enough calories throughout the day either if he's only taking those little bits of milk.

Honestly I wouldn't be doing the cc until you can sort out these problems (and I'm not anti cc as I've done it with both of mine)

ballroomblitz Sat 11-May-13 23:09:57

Food wise my routine with my 7 month old would be milk, breakfast, milk, lunch, milk, dinner, milk (sometimes with another milk feed thrown in if she's wanting it. Normally drinks about 22 oz plus a day with formula put through her breakfast cereal too).

CreatureRetorts Sun 12-May-13 14:48:50

I'd guess reflux and or/intolerance to the formula hence not wanting it. Speak to the HV about an alternative or try comfort milk for him (including in his food). That will explain the terrible sleep which won't get sorted until he outgrows the intolerance or you change milk.

CabbageHead Mon 13-May-13 13:52:06

Does he have a dummy? If he has reflux, dummy is good for comfort.. Also could get cot wedge to raise mattress so help reflux. Our DS has reflux but mostly grown out of it now.. Also if reflux could be his ears irritating him, get his ears checked for fluid.. Sounds like he is walking from discomfort.. (Our DS only started STTN just before he turned 1..!, nightweaned at 8mths.) also could try a lovey. DS is very attached to his lovey and if he can't find it he will call for us.. But helped with the SA at this age..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now