Talk

Advanced search

Is he too young??

(5 Posts)
rattie77 Fri 10-May-13 22:56:53

My DS 4.6 is greatly influenced by my nephew who is 7 and wants to do things that he does. I sometimes question whether I am letting him watch/ get interested in such things too soon. For instance he has loved spiderman since 3years, now he is loving Ben 10. Is he too young to watch episodes of Ben 10 ? I notice other kids his age are still into Thomas/Cloudbabies etc. He will watch about 4 episodes a week but although it isn't violent as such - there is fighting battles. Also my older children 20/24 have ipads etc and he is now watching them play angry birds etc and has began asking to go on the xbox. Am I worrying about nothing or have I cause for concern?Do your 4 years olds do these things or not?

BabiesAreLikeBuses Fri 10-May-13 23:10:11

My ds 5.1 loves spiderman and all superheroes. Also occ watches ben ten but not as into it... But it is aimed at 5yo. He has always found thomas dull and wouldnt enjoy cloud babies! I have multiple angry birds apps for him on iphone, my friend said he'd love it as it involves basic problem solving skills, he knows it's not real and doesn't imitate this behaviour. Having said that he doesn't watch much tv mid week and i stopped him watching an action man dvd he borrowed as he acted aggressively after one episode, mind you it flipped from cartoon to actors on action scenes so bit different. I'd say it all sounds normal, i've just talked to mine about which channels on tv he can watch (he has a list and so far hasn't deviated) and he knows that i limit his time, hope that helps

rattie77 Sun 12-May-13 13:25:25

That's reassuring!. Just got me thinking when I see some of his pals at preschool they seem much younger in their interests but suppose all kids are different.

rattie77 Sun 12-May-13 13:25:51

That's reassuring!. Just got me thinking when I see some of his pals at preschool they seem much younger in their interests but suppose all kids are different.

Stacks Mon 13-May-13 21:44:42

My 4 year old nephew is a dab hand on the iPad, he puts in the pass code, finds the netflix app, chooses what to watch then settles down with it. His interests range from power rangers to Thomas, Batman and Pingu. He also browses YouTube for funny videos and gangnam style. It's all about what they see others do. My sister is often on the iPad, so he wants to be too. He also plays shooting games cooperatively with his grandad (grandad does the walking, DN does the shooting) I hope my DS doesn't start wanting to shoot people quite so early in life.

With my DS we're trying to limit how much time we spend on technology around him so he will hopefully be more interested in his toys and imaginative play than phones and iPads like DN. They will copy their idol, be it parents or older siblings etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now