Talk

Advanced search

3 month old, is this normal? Hands and feet.

(6 Posts)
CuppaSarah Fri 10-May-13 14:11:59

Hello, pfb paranoia has set in, so I need to ask you more experienced ladies advice. My DD hasn't discovered her hands yet, she eats them, clasps them together and grabs things. But she hasn't realised it's those fleshy stubby things doing those things yet if you see what I mean. Yet she's discovered her feet, when shes sat up(being supported of course) she stares at them, she picks toys up with her feet and plays with them. Is it normal she has 'foot-eye' coordination before 'hand-eye' or do I have a monkey baby? Reading this back I sound so daft but I'm all first time mum paranoid.

leobear Fri 10-May-13 14:16:59

She sounds totally normal to me! Bringing her hands together, mouthing them etc is discovering her hands! What more do you feel she should be doing with them?

Thurlow Fri 10-May-13 14:18:58

DD was absolutely obsessed with her feet. Every single photo I have of her from about 3mo until she could sit is of her, on her back, with her feet in her mouth. She was exactly how you describe your DD, she would use her feet more than her hands some days. I remember being at a baby yoga class when she was about 6mo and the tutor was saying, "let's see if your baby can find their feet!" and I couldn't stop laughing, I'd much rather have played "let's see if your baby can let go of their feet for just one minute!"

And even now at 15mo she still occasionally stares at her hands like "what are these things?!"

So perfectly normal! But also perfectly normal to worry about it grin

CuppaSarah Fri 10-May-13 14:19:27

I suppose grabbing at things she sees. I don't really know whats normal for her age and the fact shes more advanced with her feet, makes me worry why her hands aren't doing the same.

I got hit with a football in th belly while pregnant, so it seems sort of appropraite that she loves kicking stuff...

MissBlennerhassett Fri 10-May-13 14:22:09

My baby was feet first too. Pretty sure it's the right way round. I can't remember when she started staring at her hands in awe, but it was certainly later than her feet. She also kicked her baby gym rattles before she touched them.

She's 9 months now and only recently became aware of her fingers, which now mesmerise her. Don't worry!

CuppaSarah Fri 10-May-13 14:24:19

Thankyou for the reassurance!! I've tried so hard not to worry all the time, but it seems impossible not to. Glad to hear theres lots of other foot first babies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now