Talk

Advanced search

Is this because of teething?

(7 Posts)
BotBotticelli Thu 09-May-13 08:31:22

Ds1 is 5mo and in the last week I have seen 2 little teeth starting to appear in his bottom gum.

They are now both about 1mm above the gum each so they still have a fair bit of growing to do. Could they still be hurting him, even though they have now broken through the gum??

I ask because in the last 5 days or so DS has started waking from around 4am onwards, crying, but drops straight back to sleep of we pick him up and cuddle him. We then transfer him back to the cot asleep, he stays asleep for 15-20 mins and then wakes up crying again. This pattern is repeated from 4am until 6.30am when we give up as one of us gets up with him. We gave him some baby ibuprofen this mornin at 4.30am and it did seem to soothe him a bit, but he still kept waking for cuddles.

He is not hot, cold or hungry (I know he is not hungry cos when we finally get him up at 6.30am he is happy to cuddle, read books, lie on mat etc until around 7.15am before crying fr a bottle. And it's a different cry anyway).

Does this sound like typical teething behaviour? Hen might it end?? (Ie will it last until the teeth are fully up through the gum?)....a bit alarmed cos DS has previously slept quite well and has recently leaned to self-soothe when he stirs in the night. Usually goes back to sleep after 3-4 mins of grizzly moaning but now I feel like we are good backwards sad I don't want to start setting a precedent where he needs to be rocked back to sleep every time he stirs in the night, but also obviously don't want to leave him if he is in pain.

Any advice?

BotBotticelli Thu 09-May-13 08:32:53

Gah stupid phone typos! Hope you can understand what I mean.

*going backwards, not good backwards, in the last paragraph for example!

BotBotticelli Thu 09-May-13 20:29:19

Bump! Anyone got any thoughts? DS has been inconsolable all evening and has left half of all his bottles today, and point blank refused to drink any of his bedtime bottle just now :-( could this all be tooth-related??

CreatureRetorts Thu 09-May-13 20:37:17

I would rock him if it works - he can learn to self settle when he's happier (been there with my two and they always go back to good habits).

He could be unwell? Beginning of a cold?

Jakeyblueblue Thu 09-May-13 23:17:58

He's probably cutting more teeth that are yet to break through. I found that ds would cut them in pairs, first the bottom, then the two corresponding teeth on the top, all within a few weeks.
I'd do whatever you need to do to get them back to sleep and not worry about setting precedents. Try some calpol before bed too.

beckiebee04 Mon 24-Nov-14 22:40:59

This sounds exactly like my little one! She normally sleeps from 19:30-8:30, not waking and then her teeth started to come through(two at the bottom) she would wake about 21:00, 23:00, and so on, in the end I would only be able settle her by letting her sleep in my arms, someone advised me to get Ashton and parsons teething powders ,... God send!!! Both teeth are now cut through and she's back to sleeping now , but I'm guessing itll start again when the others come again confused, she's just in pain and wants mummy's cuddles I guess xx

moomin35 Tue 25-Nov-14 12:08:13

I can't help I'm afraid other to say in am experiencing the same and am putting it down to teething.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now