Talk

Advanced search

When did you start using soap?!

(14 Posts)
monkeymamma Wed 08-May-13 10:44:41

If at all. When ds was a newborn we ignored all the carefully marketed baby toiletries and just used water at bath time. At some point we also started using shampoo. Now he's 15m and I'm wondering when we should start(or should have started) using actual soap to wash him?? What does everyone else do? I sometimes give his hands and feet if he's been barefoot that day a little soap and rinse but what about the rest of him?! I'd assumed his bits and bobs could wait till he could wash himself or even until puberty, but he's got a uti at the mo and I'm wondering (classic mum guilt) if a proper wash would have helped avoid this?
Also... My mum brought me up to believe flannels and sponges are germ magnets so we don't use either, but now he's not a newborn the bits of cotton wool etc seem quite fiddly and ineffective!

Any tips gratefully received.

QueenFuri Wed 08-May-13 11:05:58

I used a gentle baby wash from birth. Now my youngest is almost 3 I use soap and a sponge but throw them out every 10/14 days as they are quite cheap. Flannels get chucked in the wsh. Maybe use a gentle baby top to toe wash on him? Asda little angels one is good ,Id avoid Johnsons as it dries my DC skin out.

CreatureRetorts Wed 08-May-13 13:37:09

I use liquid soap but not much and only for obvious dirt. I give behind the ears a good clean and dry, plus under the neck and other folds (not DD's girl bits though). Now DS is potty trained I make sure his bum gets a clean as can't be too sure we catch it all with tissue . I use flannels but they go in the wash after every use so not a bother about germs. You can get cheap packets of them - I use them for nappy changes and washing etc then they go straight in the wash afterwards. I foud cotton wool rubbish!

Choccywoccydodah Wed 08-May-13 13:43:23

We used baby shampoo from birth, with oilatum in the bath as ds had slightly dry skin (given by dr). From about 1 yr we used baby bath smile

Choccywoccydodah Wed 08-May-13 13:44:34

Second little angels too x

Isandri Thu 09-May-13 13:09:22

I use a sensitive skin baby wash every 4 to 5 days but mainly concentrate it on his head and bum. His foreskin gets gently pulled back and wiped with a very thin spongy cloth every nappy change. The spongy cloth is 2 to 3mm thick, disposal and is the danish equivalent on cotton wool. It's used with water for all nappy changes over here.

Choccywoccydodah Thu 09-May-13 18:43:10

Where are you Isandri? We are advised in the uk not to touch foreskin and pull it back.

Isandri Thu 09-May-13 20:01:11

Denmark. We dont properly pull it back we just manipulate all the loose skin so it's smooth and can be wiped. My son has about 4 mm of foreskin thats not fully attached at the end.

fififrog Thu 09-May-13 20:41:37

My DD is 2 and a bit, I still don't use soap at bath time, but we sometimes use soap when she washes her hands, mostly becaus she asks for it.

We only wash her hair about once a fortnight too, buy sometimes she goes 4 weeks between washes!

Seb101 Fri 10-May-13 09:12:22

My lo is 17 months and I've started to use a gentle soap to wash her. She has a bath every day, partly due to routine, partly because she's usually dirty! Sticky fingers in hair, mud and grime from garden, snotty face, hot sweaty feet. I don't entirely agree with this : kids only need to be bathed in water. As they become mobile and active toddlers, they can be filthy at end of day. I like to give her a good wash so she's all clean and fresh. I hair wash every other day- cause she puts her sticky hands in her hair most days! Babies and young kids don't sweat like adults, but I've certainly come across smelly children in the nursery I work at, so they do need a good scrub pretty regularly in my opinion.

JollyOrangeGiant Fri 10-May-13 09:14:18

DS is 24mo. We put bubbles in his bath once a week. We don't use shampoo and just wash him with water

I don't use soap either - my skin doesn't like it. I don't smell smile

MousyMouse Fri 10-May-13 09:25:41

we don't use soap.
we wash the dc's hair and then use the foam for pits and bits.

Seb101 Fri 10-May-13 09:33:33

Soap, bubbles, liquid wash, emollient cleansers, some sort of washing product. I realise some skins don't tolerate soap. Even kids with dry skin conditions can get cream cleansers etc.

StiffyByng Fri 10-May-13 09:38:23

My 23 month old has a bath every day because she gets filthy! She has bubbles in it, from whatever sensitive range is on offer. We only started using soap at 6 months, when she started weaning, and the mess began...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now