Talk

Advanced search

slow eater HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(17 Posts)
tewin Fri 19-May-06 13:29:51

DS is now 7 plus and is incredibly slow at eating, usually taking an hour to eat his meal! Have tried encouraging him, switching off tv, leaving him alone at table, nothing but nothing works, its driving the family insane. Help, any ideas????

indignatio Fri 19-May-06 13:45:00

shall watch this thread with interest as ds (nearly) 4 is the same - and with getting dressed
You have my empathy !

manitz Fri 19-May-06 14:24:24

me too, nursery say in tone of astonishment, she ate lunch but it took 45 minutes! sometimes lunch turns into tea. Think she just needs little and often. she's 3.

Elibean Sat 20-May-06 17:04:49

Is 45 minutes really that much? I wish I took longer to eat - am known for bolting my food (and get heartburn). dd is 2.5 and if she's eating well, she often takes half an hour - sometimes more - but half an hour at table doesn't seem excessive to me. Maybe thats my French genes talking..

Tewin, I would agree with switching tv off - if meal time is about eating, it helps to focus on just that IMO.

manitz Sun 21-May-06 09:43:33

i suppose 45 mins isn't that long, i think they are quite efficient at nursery but i definitely think she is a child that doesn't eat meals as such and could have food in hter hand/mouth all day long.

TwoToTango Sun 21-May-06 10:05:41

tewin - what happens when he is at school - does he eat quicker there or does he have to spend the whole break eating? I know my ds and his friends race to eat their food so they can get out to play.

tewin Sun 21-May-06 17:58:38

Hi Twototango, yes DS is exactly the same atschool lunchtime, he spends most of his time eating and doesnt seem to care about reduced playtime. He is very popular so it isnt a case of staying in on purpose. Much the same at restaurants too but I KNOW he can improve as have witnessed it just a few times.

TwoToTango Sun 21-May-06 18:14:58

It must be very frustrating for you especially in restaurants etc, but looking on the bright side at least he is eating all of his meal. sorry got no suggestions but at least this will keep the thread going until someone has a good idea

Notquitesotiredmum Sun 21-May-06 18:44:40

My ds1 is just the same. He can't eat quickly, and at school has to have tiny amounts in his lunchbox so that he gets any playtime at all. He's 6 and shows no sign of speeding up. I think some kids are just like that.

indignatio Mon 22-May-06 08:26:37

bumping this for Monday am advice

cheltenhamgal Mon 22-May-06 19:49:50

my dd 6yrs is also an absolute nightmare, and it drives me to despair, its only at home tho not when we eat out or at school, I too will be watching for any advice, it can take her up to an hour to finish her Sunday roast

SoupDragon Mon 22-May-06 19:52:05

DS2 used to take over an hour to eat dinner. I now set the timer for 30 minutes and that is how long he's got. He's not taken longer than that so far! OI told him that if he finished within the allotted time, we would discuss dessert.

SoupDragon Mon 22-May-06 19:52:22

He;s 5 btw

indignatio Wed 24-May-06 08:20:42

Shameless bump

zippitippitoes Wed 24-May-06 08:23:50

I think it's actually better to take longer over eating, unless it is playing with food ie just pushing it round the plate and not eating in which case I would declare the meal over.

Tortington Wed 24-May-06 08:45:21

let hinm eat what he can - then dont feed him til next meal - dont make an issue out of it you will equate food with unpleasentness.

just smile and say tell me when your done.

then tell him to wash his plate

dont give him ANYTHING until the next meal

tewin Wed 24-May-06 19:21:36

Well, three days in a row now DS has taken so long to eat it has vitually become bedtime as the knife and fork go down! He is not at all bothered, it has taken over one hour each time (we have had three days late home from sch (activities and such), thanks everyone for your responses, I guess I'll just have to sit this out and hope for improvement, by the way he does'nt snack either. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: