Talk

Advanced search

Help! Advice on how to handle a cry-baby 5-year-old?!

(5 Posts)
mamaeff Sun 05-May-13 16:24:22

My 5-and-a-half-year-old is a real cry-baby, I'm sorry to say. He's generally a very nice boy but he's very sensitive and has a tendency to cry several times a day. E.g. if he's pleading for something; if he thinks a (very tame) story is going to be scary, even if it's not; if his younger siblings are playing with a toy, he'll decide he wants it and when he doesn't get it he will cry. He's very quick to descend into a whine and then a cry...
His teachers say he doesn't do this at school - although I know he used to.

Anyone else got through this, and if so, any tips/hope for me?!
Thanks in advance.

Nishky Sun 05-May-13 17:42:32

My ds was a bit like this and I worried it would cause issues at school but it hasn't.

I think the best plan is not to give in to the tears- ds has grown out of it really although still a little prone to it

MaryRobinson Sun 05-May-13 21:22:30

Cry-baby really is a very negative term and I guess it is overwhelming for your son to deal with both the 'situation' (siblings have toy/scary story/whatever) in addition to knowing/sensing your hostility to his initial response.

Could you try to help him find constructive ways to deal with the primary issue e.g. Negotiate next turn with the toy, practice being brave etc.

mamaeff Sat 11-May-13 17:48:37

Hi, thanks for your replies - Mary, I don't call him a cry-baby, I just use that term on mumsnet !

But your point is valid. Finding a balance between not giving in to the crying and not sounding / being annoyed by it is the trick.

Thanks.

cosysocks Sat 11-May-13 17:51:21

Not call them a cry-baby hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now