Talk

Advanced search

1 month old sleep issues advice needed

(10 Posts)
JasperD Tue 30-Apr-13 12:24:54

Hi,
I am a first time mother and need some advice. My DS has been feeding every 2.5-3 hours for the last 2 weeks , each time he wakes for a feed he stays awake for 1.5-2.0 hours(some times he just stays awake till after his next feed) which means Im getting 30mins -1hr naps at night I try to get them during the day but I dont always get a chance. Last night I had a total of 3 hours sleep and I am so tired.
I just looking for someone to tell me this is normal and it will get better?

EMS23 Tue 30-Apr-13 12:27:18

It's normal and it will get better. Then sometimes it might get worse again. And then it might get better again. And so on and so on.

Can anyone hold the baby while you sleep in the day or do a night feed for you?

CreatureRetorts Tue 30-Apr-13 12:30:21

Normal - they can take a while to get days and nights. Although my second got it a lot faster - I woke her at the same time everyday (7am) and tried to put her to bed at the same time. She was out and about, napping in the sling with daylight etc in the day whereas nights were dark and boring.

So get out every day - especially around 12-3pm as apparently that helps babies set their day/night clocks faster.

I also found cosleeping a godsend - dd rarely woke for long at night as I was right there straight away.

JasperD Tue 30-Apr-13 12:33:07

thank you, im sat here holding the little rascal thinking I am getting something wrong . Its good to know its normal smile
I have no family that live near and my DH does one feed when he gets home from work which gives me time to make food.

JasperD Tue 30-Apr-13 12:35:39

Thats a good idea to go out between 12-3 smile i havent really got to get out as much as i would like , i had a bad birth and my stitches are still healing.

EMS23 Tue 30-Apr-13 12:41:58

The family that live far away.. Might someone like to come for a visit and help you out for a couple of days.
I also live far from family and you can go a bit stir crazy. It might be nice for your mum (or someone else you love) to visit and hold the baby or make you a cup of tea.
And people love to be asked.

KatAndKit Tue 30-Apr-13 12:48:35

It is totally normal. One month olds don't have sleep issues at they don't yet know about day and night and just sleep when they want to and feel safe and settled. It is their poor parents that have the sleep issues!
You need to operate a shift system. Just because DH does go out to work does not mean he gets all the sleep and you get none. You are doing a very very hard job in the day looking after a new baby.
Here is how it ought to go:
DH arrives home from work. He makes the food while you are feeding the baby. Baby is fed, you are fed, baby sleeps on DH, you go to bed and sleep on your own. DH does his one feed a couple of hours later, say at 10 or 11 pm and then brings the baby up already asleep. By this time you have had a couple of hours and may even get two more hours! 4 hours in a row and you can function ok ish the next day if you get another sleep later on in the night. DH should take over so you can rest, not so you can cook food. Ready meals and take aways are a good idea, so is cooking 6 portions of something so you can eat it three days in a row!
Definitely get some help from your mum for a couple of days if possible.

EMS23 Tue 30-Apr-13 12:51:57

KatandKit is right... With both our DD's my DH took over from 9pm - 1am. That block of sleep was vital to my survival of the newborn phase.

CabbageHead Tue 30-Apr-13 12:58:54

Also get them used to the morning light when it's normal wake up time.. Around 7am etc this also helps to set their body clock although it can take a while as everyone has already said... (in other words, just keep them in the dark all day as their body won't adjust as well...)

Try to let go of the housework etc if you haven't done already... All that stuff can wait, you need to look after you first, your body is still recuperating from the birth, as well as adjusting to feeding if u are bf..

Rest as much as you can, even if u can't sleep, someone once told me to read a book or watch Telly, was the best advice because I couldn't sleep during day, but resting and taking my mind off baby was important as well.

If u can't go out to walk, just sit outside in the daylight put bub in pram and push them back and forth, while u rest with ur eyes closed... Man the amount of times I've pushed my DS around my suburb in pram with my eyes closed lol! I think all the neighbours know not to run me over now he he!

JasperD Tue 30-Apr-13 13:09:37

We had family over fr the 1st 2 weeks i guess thats why last 2 weeks have felt a bit hard. They live in a different country so getting them here can be a bit hard .
Kitandkat some great ideas there thank you so much x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now