Talk

Advanced search

Spider/ wasp phobia........... please help

(10 Posts)
stoppinattwo Wed 17-May-06 21:57:46

My DD now 4.5 has the most terrible fear of bugs generally but now the nicer weather is supposidly on its way? I will often leave the windows, doors to the back garden open. She sytematically closes them behind me!!! fear of bug in the house. She dreams of spiders crawling on the bed and you would think somebody was killing her if she saw a wasp in the garden, the screams are terrible. I quite like most bugs and will pick them up (not so keen on wasps) DH isnt bothered by any creepy crawlies. Im just worried about her spoiling her own fun and not enjoying the garden because of her fear.
She has woken in the night with nightmares, convinced she can see spiders on the bed, I have explained that spiders are good and do no harm and I have never shown her any fear of them,
I just feel sorry for her she gets herself in such a state, I dont expect her to love them and go picking them up but I just wish there was a way to make her realise that even though they may look unusual they dont do any harm.

Any suggestions ???

Avalon Wed 17-May-06 22:07:35

No idea re spiders - yuk - but what about a dreamcatcher to help stop the nightmares?

stoppinattwo Wed 17-May-06 22:14:12

Hmm Im sure ive got one of those somewhere, is it like a spiders web with beads and feathers?

You know I think she would really like the idea of that thanks Avalon

<<SA2 wanders off insearch of Dreamcatcher and good excuse for putting it up>>

tortoise Wed 17-May-06 22:18:23

<<<waves>> Hi again!! My ds1 is 9 and he says he wont go out and play in the garden cos of the bees.Ive tried to convince him he will be ok and that im always walking past them and they havn't come over and stung me.
That doesn't help you though!

stoppinattwo Wed 17-May-06 22:25:24

I stood on a bee in my bare feet, last year in the front garden, which didnt help. Took a lot of explaining and had to really try my hardest not to cry so she didnt get scared. It really hurt and my foot ballooned. I did try to make light of it and she didnt see what happened to my foot. I just feel so sorry that she has a hard time with it and cant enjoy the garden as much as the others. we have children living both sides of our house and they all play between the three gardens but she is always on bee alert!! <<eagle eyes action man>>

tortoise Wed 17-May-06 22:29:54

ouch!None of mine have ever been stung yet.Dont know where his sudden fear has come from.I dont like wasps and am probably not good when they are around so maybe its my fault! Guess lots of encouragement to play out might help.Btw i hate spiders too!!

stoppinattwo Wed 17-May-06 22:35:47

I have a feeling nursery is the culprit , I think you either like them or you dont, I just dint want her to miss out.

Found the dream catcher BTW

tortoise Wed 17-May-06 22:44:26

Hope the dream catcher helps .
Would think a 9 year old was past bee phobias!
Good luck with your dd.

Avalon Wed 17-May-06 22:47:43

Glad you found the dreamcatcher.

Don't Betterware or Kleeneze do a 'Spider-Stop' spray? You're supposed to spray it around windows and doors to stop spiders coming in.
I don't know whether it works, but it might help your dd if she sees you spraying it?

In our house, our large black and white cat eats all the spiders he can find.

stoppinattwo Thu 18-May-06 18:38:08

Could you possibly hire you cat out Avalon we get some monster spiders here Im sure it would like to crunch through [yeuch]

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: