Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions in how to help with DS's flat spot

(4 Posts)
u32ng Fri 26-Apr-13 12:38:21

Help! My 3m old DS seems to be developing quite the flat spot & I want to stop it getting worse!

I try & turn his head either direction when he naps/sleeps but this often fails because a)the wee monkey just pings his head back from the direction I moved it & b)Sometimes I just don't want to risk waking him up especially when it's been a nap battle.

I give him tummy time but he doesn't have the strength (or temperament!) to last much more than about 5-10 mins.

I try & limit the time sat in his bouncer but sometimes I just need the separation to get stuff done.

I carry him & 'sit' him on my lap but it's not for very long (doesnt help that I have a duff left shoulder still from labour & carrying/holding him after a while is sore).

I've got a front carrier thing but DS doesn't always like it grin(

What else can I do??

cathan Fri 26-Apr-13 14:59:32

Try not to worry! My son had a very flat head, so much so that my GP thought he might have pre-maturely fused skull plates! That was a real nightmare and involved seeing a consultant and holding him down to have an x-ray. When it turned out okay I was VERY relieved that he only had a flat head! By the time he was around 18 months, it had "rounded" out a lot and even before then, his hair soon grew to cover it. Lots of babies have quite flat heads so try not to fret. If you're very conscious of it, you could always get him some cute hats! Hope this helps.

GingerDoodle Fri 26-Apr-13 22:20:57

DD was born with a kink in her neck which wasn't resolved until just before 3 months and had a small flat / bald patch which I was paranoid about.
I used a sling* a lot (6 hours a day as I was commuting with my dh at the time), enforced tummy time (10 mins; mostly protested loudly about) and got a a http://lillakuddisbabypillows.co.uk pillow. This was around 3 months; DD is now 6 months and her bald patch is pretty much gone.

*Rose & Rebellion or Boba 3G.

alienbanana Fri 26-Apr-13 22:23:49

Just marking so I can reply properly tomorrow - there are lots of things you can do.

In the meantime do an advanced search on here on plagiocephaly and repositioning and some useful threads should come up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now