Talk

Advanced search

what age can a child start watching cartoons & enjoy them?

(4 Posts)
iamnowawhaticallmother Fri 26-Apr-13 12:26:39

I own some retro cartoons that I used to love when i was little like Super Ted, Banana man, Raggy dolls & loads of Disney Classics - but what age do you think a child can watch them with me & enjoy them? My baby is only 2 months so i am sure i am way too early - but just wondered what your experience has been?

rrreow Fri 26-Apr-13 13:15:08

They can enjoy the colours & movements from quite a young age. We used to watch some Looney Tunes with DS when he was little (I don't remember exactly when.. maybe 7 months?). But then with those cartoons in particular at a certain point they start to cognitively understand them and they're no longer really suitable because there's a lot of hitting over the head & shooting at bunnies! And they're old enough to copy, but too young to really understand what's real and what isn't and what's appropriate and what isn't. I'm sure Disney is fine though, and you can just watch them yourself snuggled up to DC and your DC will show an interest when they're ready.

BotBotticelli Sat 27-Apr-13 09:21:24

DS is 4mo and he is paying quite close attention to CBeebies and BabyTV now, if I stick them on for 10 mins so I can have a shower, get ready to go out etc. He especially likes things with songs, so maybe the disney films with songs would be good at this age, although don't expect to get througha whole film!! DS can watch about 10-15 mins of BabyTv before getting bored.

MiaowTheCat Sat 27-Apr-13 09:27:20

DD1 got quite into the CITV retro weekend the other month - particularly Fraggle Rock. She's become rather TOO aware of the TV for my liking now at the age of 1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now