Talk

Advanced search

Baby keeps sitting up at night and crying

(3 Posts)
Dey83 Tue 23-Apr-13 19:53:55

Hi all,

My 7 month old daughter has started crawling and siting up independently. I'm currently sleep training her using gradual retreat - the retreat aspect is yet to happen! Anyway, since she has started sitting up, she now continuously sits up in her cot and cries when it comes to going to sleep. Luckily she does not do this through out the night - yet!

I'm wondering what I should do. Should I just ignore her and let her lay down herself, or should I keep laying her down? She will cry for upto an hour either way.

amazingmumof6 Wed 24-Apr-13 00:17:09

my eldest was 8 months old when he did something similar, just crying in the cot even though I was sitting next to him on the floor. I got fed up and left, he was beside himself and cried (snotty choking shrieking) and cried and got into such a state he was sick.

next night the same thing was repeated at which point I thought that leaving him to cry it out until he vomits was insane, in his case anyway.

I don't generally leave my kids to cry until they fall asleep, but has done it on occasion.
I don't like to ignore them and if they cry out having been asleep I always check what happened - we've had stuck elbows & knees between the cot bars, sickness in the night, naked children who took their clothes off when briefly waking up then managed to pee all over the cot only to wake up again shivering in their own pee and many more....

at 7 months I would do whatever keeps them quiet and happy - probably not "correct parenting", but I'd rather cuddle them to sleep then clean up vomit and feel incredibly guilty!

btw my eldest is almost 12 and still has trouble falling asleep, he just doesn't seem to need that much sleep.
baby's 1 and I've just BF so she's either up 3 times looking for the breast or sleeps through (9pm-7am), hit or miss really.
the others are fairly good sleepers, usually asleep between 8pm - 9.30pm (ages 3, 6, 8 & 9) - up at 7am-7.30am

they all sleep through the night usually, so maybe making them feel safe is better than "doing the right thing"?

I have tried Tracy Hogg's shush/pat method with some of them, the results varied, mainly positive, so it is a good technic IMO.

hope this helps

amazingmumof6 Wed 24-Apr-13 00:19:05

*just stopped Bf (sorry)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now