Talk

Advanced search

Screaming baby: Happiness

(13 Posts)
SHHHH Tue 16-May-06 13:52:24

Now I know ALLL babies scream...but dd screams ALOT.........She laughs and smiles while doing it so it is not our of unhappiness iykwim. It seems she may have found her voice BUT is this normal.? While shopping she goes up behind people while in the trolly and screams....it was cute BUT now it gets piercing esp as I am with her 24/7.
She screams as though she is getting giddy etc...

Family and friends seem to find it funny and try to encourage her more while making out I am cruel trying to stop her..She also does it while I am on the phone, chatting to someone etc..anytime basically.

Anyone advise..?? BTW she is 1.

tweetyfish Tue 16-May-06 14:14:01

I typed a post out very similar to this, but didn't post it. Have no advice really, DD is 18 months and screams if she's angry. At around 6/7 months she found her voice and that was screams but smiling at the same time. Now it's getting so bad as her screams are so loud and blood curdling!

I did try talking quietly to her whilst she was shouting, hoping that she'd try and do the same. That worked for a while, then I thought she'd grown out of it, bt seems like it's back

tweetyfish Tue 16-May-06 14:14:58

And i really do sympathise with you, 24/7 it gets old very quickly!

SHHHH Tue 16-May-06 14:51:40

at least it's "normal"..DH actually asked me last night if I had got advice to check it was correct..!! Sounds like she does it to communicate iykwim BUT it makes my ears ring!!!
I swear my brain rattles when she does it..!
Thanks for the post x

CorrieDale Tue 16-May-06 19:17:27

DS has started doing this as well. I just ignore it and smile and chat to him once he's stopped. Not that it works mind, but that's what I do.

bourneville Tue 16-May-06 19:22:55

She's a bit young for this but when my dd (2.9) does something like that (actually usually it's continuing crying/moaning when i've said no to what she wants) i put her in her room (door open) & tell her to come back when she's ready to stop crying/whatever. Obv your dd is too young to understand and respond to that, but perhaps just putting her there or at least somewhere safe away from you would help ie if she gets absolutely no attention for it? Sounds like she has received too much attention from others for it so time to withhold it!

dd never screamed like that but i know a lo who does and i don't know how i'd cope if dd did!

Bugmum Wed 17-May-06 09:03:34

We are forced to say to DS (15 montsh), 'Too peircing, man'. Which is a hippi quote and no use at all, but at least it is another vote for normal

Bozza Wed 17-May-06 09:05:48

They scream for fun. And set each other off....

BonyM Wed 17-May-06 09:09:35

DD2 (14mths)does this - with great delight. Dd1 (8) finds it hilarious unfortunately and encourages her (unless I intervene) and they have screaming competitions!

Am hoping she will grow out of it...

SHHHH Wed 17-May-06 13:03:16

thanks everyone!! At times I feel like screaming back ie anything you can do I can do better . But don;t think as a mum I should encourage it !! LOL.!

Suppose I better buy some ear plugs.!

Bozza Wed 17-May-06 14:39:14

Oh yes screaming back would just make it all a big game - believe me!

Henro Sun 21-May-06 13:01:54

Shhh i sympathise comletely my DS (nearly 2) does this ALOT - ear piercing levels he actually goes hoarse at times - ... Was harder when he was younger but now seems to understand its wrong (still does it though) Have started putting him on a naughty spot and then if continues I leave the room until its all quiet...sometimes cries when i do and altho its heartwrenching feel i have to be tough or he'll end up having me run round in circles.. DH doesn't help much just gets annoyed and also asks if normal with a look of disdain in my direction...F'er!!

But take a deep breath when it starts, block out the noise (esp if out and about) and ignore any looks form other people - i actually had a lady shout at me to shut him up b'cos her DH had tinitus....(like i cared when DS was driving round the bend) i stopped going out for a while after that....don't reccommend it as was giving in to him (and her).

Iwould also ask your family to repesct your wishes by NOT encouraging her and if needs be then maybe be hard with them by not visisting as much until they get the message (no offence to your family is meant)

Sorry to gabble on... just remember it is normal so be strong...

LaFleurStEmilion Sun 21-May-06 14:04:23

Eeeeek! yes, a familiar refrain. I had to put in earplugs at one stage!

On a serious note, though, the screaming has stopped since taking dd to baby signing classes (Sing and Sign - hey, they should pay me for that plug!) as I associated much of the screaming as part of frustration in me not 'getting' what he was trying to get me to understand. The more I dithered, the more the screaming continued / volume increased.

Now we have the odd squeak as part of the babbling, but the incessant 24/7 has stopped as we are getting to talk through signs. It works.

My dd is now 8.5 months and was screaming at 4 months to 6 months which is when I started the signing. Worth a try to save your sanity!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: