Talk

Advanced search

OK give me an honest answer - how long to cut a tooth from symptoms starting?

(14 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Mon 22-Apr-13 13:02:11

Because I am going nuts here (and my HV is useless). First pair of bottom teeth - had a good month plus of the endless drool, rosy cheeks, ear pulling... good three weeks of a very very irritable screechy pissed off baby (the drool's finally died down a bit this week) and the fucking things are STILL not through!

She's late cutting them anyway - but I'm just wondering how much longer I need to stockpile wine to numb the pain of these first teeth cutting for me! It's hit the point I'm considering booking her in to the GP just to get checked out for an ear infection in case that's causing her some of the grottiness - even though I'm fairly sure it isn't - just all the books and websites seem to breezily say it's a week or so of hell at the most - are they all lying to me?!

BotBotticelli Mon 22-Apr-13 13:56:34

Sorry can't help but watching with interest! DS has been exhibiting the screaming irritable teething symptoms with bright red cheeks, biting on everything and generally being unhappy for about 2 weeks now, and he is only 20 weeks old, so we could have months beforeh his teeth appear sad

Am glad it's not just me though.

About once every 2 days at the moment it gets to 3pm and I can't bear him being so upset anymore, I give some calpol and he cheers right up. Not that keen on medicating on a daily basis, but if it's either that or incessant screaming, I know what I am gonna go for!

MiaSparrow Mon 22-Apr-13 13:57:50

Yes! Teething is just awful I cannot lie, and it can take months for a tooth to cut - but then you could get a spurt and get lots through together. Then you might get some respite before the next lot. DD cut her first bottom two front teeth at 8 months but I'm sure she was teething from 5 months.

That's not what you want to hear. Sorry.

We used the teething granules, amber necklace, bonjela on those dummy-like teethers you bite down on, Calpol, Nurofen, the lot! Find what works the best and stick to it.

BotBotticelli Mon 22-Apr-13 14:03:29

How often did you end up giving Calpol/Nurofen Mia?

Is it bad to give it every day for a few days, if they seem really bad in pain?

ChasingStaplers Mon 22-Apr-13 14:08:48

Hate to say it but my DS2 has been teething for over a month now and we're only just seeing the teeth break through the gums. It's been a looooong process.

DD and DS1 took a while as well but I don't remember it being this long. I use teething powders, which DS2 seems to like. There are a couple of different brands about. I don't bother with the gel as it just gets eaten and try not to use calpol (but that's me - I have a 'thing' about not using painkillers unless totally necessary)

Thurlow Mon 22-Apr-13 14:17:12

Took us ages for the first ones, a good 5-6 weeks before they came through. I suspect that DD finds the teeth moving up through the gum a lot worse than the teeth actually breaking through the gum.

It might be that she has lots coming through? First lot we had were the bottom two, they seemed bad. Then we had the top four in one go, and that was a nightmare. But since then we've had some more come through with barely a whimper, so much easier.

We used a lot of teething powder, and only Calpol'ed at bedtime if she seemed to be in pain.

MiaSparrow Mon 22-Apr-13 14:17:32

I can't really remember Bot it was a while ago but I'm sure on the days DD was really bad we'd dose her up to the max. Seem to remember Nurofen worked better at nighttime but you can always alternate them.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Mon 22-Apr-13 14:20:02

Sorry. You won't want to read this. My son had a week of the classic signs, like you describe, in June. Typically this was whilst we were on holiday.

They finally appeared in December, just before his first birthday. We then got six in about three weeks. None since!

YBR Mon 22-Apr-13 15:00:48

It does seem to take months for our DD to cut teeth, although she's not teething full-on all the time then 4 appear almost at once. Our GP told us there's nothing wrong with giving calpol for a few days (longer than the bottle says) that's just the company covering themselves.
I can't see why you wouldn't give (sensible amounts) of pain relief when it is evident your child is in pain. If it becomes necessary (about twice so far after 12 teeth) we cross-dose with calpol and child ibuprophen (alternately every 2 hours).

MiaowTheCat Mon 22-Apr-13 16:53:47

Reckon the GP will do wine on prescription for me instead?! grin

Soooo frustrating - I can see the huuuuuge bumps and white specks under the gum but they just cannot get a way through! Add in a 5 week old with reflux and my calm veneer is beginning to get flappable.

narmada Mon 22-Apr-13 20:16:14

How old is your first, miaow??

You're not going to like to hear this but I never even noticed my two cutting teeth. If you have a five week old too, is it possible that this isn't heath-related at all and is instead a bit of old-fashioned sibling jealousy?!?

narmada Mon 22-Apr-13 20:16:46

sure that it is, I meant.

Mehrida Tue 23-Apr-13 08:35:53

Three months on and off, sorry!

We found Dentinox teething gel the only thing that took the edge off.

I licked some off my finger after giving it to DS and couldn't feel my tongue for about five mins so if it did that to me no wonder it helped him!

MiaowTheCat Tue 23-Apr-13 09:16:50

Nah it's definitely not sibling jealousy - it was niggling off and on before the small one came along and the lumps in the gum are HUUUGE now - to the point it's a mystery how the heck it's that pokey out but not poking through!

She's a bit brighter today thankfully - she was screaming the place down yesterday which is totally unlike her since she's normally the sunniest natured baby you'd ever hope to meet!

The ear infection thing had only come to mind as I had had earache recently after a cold we'd all had - but I get ear infections a lot because my ear canals are very narrow apparently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now