Talk

Advanced search

Sharing rooms or keeping them separate

(9 Posts)
cornflakegirl Mon 22-Apr-13 12:45:14

We have two DSs, DS1 in 7 (nearly 8) and DS2 is 3 and a half. We have a 3 bed house (more like 2.5 bed), and currently DS2 has a small double bedroom (with a double bed) and DS1 has a tiny single bedroom. They don't play that much in their rooms (not very much floor space) but DS1 does retreat to read in his pretty regularly.

DS2 has a double bed mainly so that grandparents can have his room when they stay (maybe six weekends a year). We're considering different arrangements that would make better use of the space, and we're thinking about bunk beds in what is currently DS2's room, with DS1's room becoming a play room (that could be cleared to take an inflatable double bed when necessary). But I'm not sure if that's a good plan as DS1 gets older - how much he'll want his own space, where he will do homework (he currently uses the dining table, but we have a lounge-diner and he is easily distracted).

Does anyone have suggestions, please?

cathan Mon 22-Apr-13 16:50:43

Given the age gap between your boys and the fact that, up to now, they have each had "private" space, I'm not sure sharing now would be a good idea. Your older DS probably values being able to escape from his younger brother - especially given the age difference. My two are 3 1/2 years apart and shared when they were younger, but it made life increasingly complicated so we split them when the older was 7, and life became much easier. It also improved their relationship. Have you asked your older boy what he thinks of the idea? Perhaps he would enjoy it - or maybe he'd be horrified! In any case, I think he's old enough to have an opinion. Hope this helps.

GiveMeVegemite Mon 22-Apr-13 19:57:57

Personally I would keep them separate. They are used to having their own rooms. I remember wheni was young and I shared with my twin sister until I was about 9 and I could not WAIT to get my own room...

mamij Mon 22-Apr-13 20:03:10

Obviously ask DS1 what he thinks first. But probably keep them separate.

Have you thought about raised beds? That way you can still get a play space or desk under the bed.

PlasticLentilWeaver Mon 22-Apr-13 21:31:33

We have a virtually identical gap. The boys had their own rooms until we moved to a smaller house last summer and put them in together in bunk beds. They absolutely love it. And don't want to be separated again when we move back to a bigger house in a few weeks time.

cornflakegirl Mon 22-Apr-13 22:51:22

DS1 likes the idea of bunk beds. (But I'm sure would also like a cabin bed.) He does sleep in DS2's bed sometimes. He likes the idea of sharing. And is happy for DS2 to be in his room "reading" at the same time as him. So I think it would work at the moment. I just don't know for how long

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 22-Apr-13 23:11:43

I did more or less what you describe OP. My girls are now 8 and 5 and have had this arrangement since DD1 turned 6...so two years. Until then DD1 had had her own room...the larger one and DD2 was in the teeny one next door.

Instead of what you're suggesting we put bunk beds in the larger room and a built in cupboard thing in the smaller one as well as a desk.

The bedroom they sleep in has SOME toys but not many....it does have a big bookshelf and a dressing table....the rest of their clothes are in the office/playroom.

What happens is they get toys from the little room (office) and bring what they want into the larger one. I work in the office and DD1 does homework in there too.

Your idea would work imo. It gets a bit hard at bedtime....but DD1 now has a little lamp and reads on her top bunk for a while. She goes to bed later than DD1.

cornflakegirl Tue 23-Apr-13 11:04:36

Neo - that's almost exactly what we're thinking of doing. I like the idea of a desk in the smaller room too. I think that could give DS1 the opportunity for his own space still.

Thanks everyone.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 23-Apr-13 11:12:11

Yes it works very well. Their bedroom is a calmer space for not being stuffed with toys etc. It's just got books and one box of toys....which doubles as a window seat. It's a nicer space entirely and the "office/playroom" is full of stuff but well thought out shelving has helped a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now