Talk

Advanced search

imaginary friends..

(5 Posts)
ditsydoll Mon 22-Apr-13 09:09:15

I'm due with dc2 in a few weeks and for the past month or so my DD has invented an imaginary friend.

She is very bright and sensitive and I wonder if this is just part of development or something I should be worried about due to the reason she probably made up the friend.

I'm just hoping she hasn't created said imaginary friend because she feels pushed out somehow.

She can describe the friend in quite great detail and is adamant she can see her. I said that mummy can't see her but it's fine that she can. She got quite upset when she realised I couldn't see her, do I pretend I can see her?

Any advice appreciated.

ditsydoll Mon 22-Apr-13 11:18:37

Bump

Sparklymommy Mon 22-Apr-13 13:30:09

My dd was 3 when I had her brother. She was extremely bright and bubbly and created an imaginary friend around this time. I really wouldn't worry. Dd's imaginery friend had a name and was a constant feature for a few months. Dd even wanted me to take Ds out of his Moses basket so that she could put her imaginery friend in it!

That said she is 10 now and doesn't even remember having an imaginery friend so I really don't think it's anything to really worry about. Dd is now the eldest of four.

BotBotticelli Mon 22-Apr-13 13:53:20

I am a twin and when we were about 4 me and my sister had a joint imaginary friend who was a rather strict middle-aged woman in a pleated skirt. A bit like an ugly Mary Poppins figure. We used to play with her all the time and sometimes she used to tell us off...!

Pretty weird, eh??

We are both normally adjusted adults now, guess it's just a part of growing up?

cory Tue 23-Apr-13 21:31:59

Ime it's just something creative children do.

In fact, a thread on MN some time ago asking adult posters if they still make up stories got a surprisingly high number of responses.

Ds had a whole imaginary country with its own language.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now