Talk

Advanced search

Help toddler thinks its funny when I'm cross, dicipline ideas?

(5 Posts)
DeathMetalMum Sun 21-Apr-13 20:34:08

I need some ideas of disciplining dd (2.3). I have dc2 who is 5 weeks and really need her to start listening, particularly when she is doing something that might be dangerous.

We had an incident this evening whilst going upstairs dd1 was messing around lots finding it funny dd2 was getting a bit upset when I was stern with dd1 she just found it even funnier and messed around more. Normally I would put dd2 down and deal with dd1 but couldn't at the time (havn't got to grips with the sling just yet) as we were half way up the stairs. We were living in a flat until 6 months ago so I am not 100% confident with dd1 on stairs alone even more as she will mess.

What concequences/dicipline can I introducd to get her to listen or even react to what I am saying.

MiaSparrow Mon 22-Apr-13 08:51:57

I feel your pain! DD (2.2) is exactly the same. I have learned not to say 'no, that's not funny' because that seems to set her off giggling again. I think they're just a bit young to feel proper remorse but DD has a thinking step. (As opposed to a naughty step).

Sometimes I find it really hard to keep a straight face when I'm telling her off but I'm trying to be consistent! hmm

Wishiwasanheiress Mon 22-Apr-13 09:02:25

I have similarly split ages. I've spent a while emphasising my faces. So, mums got her happy face on today as its sunny, mums sad now as run out of coffee, mums got her cross face on now because u won't put ur coat on. I then super exaggerate each. It's helped her see different moods and realise I feel things.

It hasn't resolved situation but has helped a bit. Certain points I have also worked out she's playing although I'm apoplectic. Eg runs and hides as I try to put her coat or shoes on. Goes floppy on stairs sometimes, hides before I put a bib on her. I've really had to pay attention and notice she does it and try to view as a game I don't know rules of. It's stopped me getting quite so mad face or scary face!

Dd is now 2.5yrs it's also gotten easier as dd2 now 12 wks. Been big alterations over time since she's born. All settling back now. Dunno if helps?

Kiwiinkits Tue 23-Apr-13 07:02:46

A couple of things came to mind when I read your OP, that are not really discipline per se but which may help.

The first is that it may help to acknowledge her emotional experience. For example, "DD I see that you're being silly. Is that because you want mummy to notice you? How about we go upstairs, and once I've put on DC2's nappy we'll read a story together? I know it can be hard when mummy is with the baby all the time."

The second is that there are ways to make stuff fun that appeal to toddlers without making them into 'discipline' issues. For example, when going upstairs you might sing "this is the way we go down the stairs, go down the stairs, go down the stairs" or "bananas, in pajamas, are coming down the stairs". They respond so well to silly voices.

We struggle with 'listening' too. My approach is to really reward listening behaviour. So for example when she comes immediately when asked I say "oh WOW Dd, that was fantastic! I asked you to come over and you came to me straight away. Good girl!!" It really helps to catch them being good. It also means that negative/discipline/angry face is kept to a minimum and everyone's happier in the home.

Kiwiinkits Tue 23-Apr-13 07:03:39

That post sounds a bit smug, it's not intended to be, I feel your pain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now