Talk

Advanced search

Anyone experienced anything similar or know what could be causing this??

(5 Posts)
Jakeyblueblue Sat 20-Apr-13 19:48:41

Have a very happy and healthy 21 month old ds. Ahead with his development and totally normal in every way, however, he sometimes gags when he watches others eating. This seems to be getting more frequent and I know its the wrong thing to do, but I've started to avoid situations where it might happen.
He eats very well himself, although he has always had an over sensitive gag. Has been resistant to lots of textures and its taken me sometime to introduce some things. He never seems to gag when I offer him food or whilst he's eating his own food. This seems to have improved greatly, its just watching others eat! It's just so odd! I don't want him to not be able to eat with others in the long term but have no idea what could be causing it or how to handle it. Don't want to force the issue either as I fear he might actually vomit if he continues to gag.
I don't know if this is relevant but it mostly seems to be after he's eaten himself. Am wondering of he's just full and the thought of more food makes it happen??
Any help would be much appreciated, he's my first and I'm worried sick about it.

babySophieRose Sat 20-Apr-13 21:24:52

My DD,17 months does gag sometimes, but it is mostly because she does not chew the food properly. Could this be the case with your DC?

Jakeyblueblue Sat 20-Apr-13 22:50:06

Thanks for your reply, but no, he's not eating when he does it! That's the thing! It's purely the sight of others eating!

LittleMissLucy Sun 21-Apr-13 06:21:00

My sister used to do this when she was very small - she was just quite sensitive to things that she was disgusted by. She still has the impulse but she hides it, so as not to offend. I wouldn't worry overly, if this might be the cause of it?

headinhands Sun 21-Apr-13 08:39:06

Hi op. my ds 6 is like this. It's getting better though. Just to give you an example of what its like at times, last year he threw up when he saw his friend eating mayonnaise when we were out for a meal, he then proceeded to carry on eating. He also threw up in a butchers in Spain because there were pig legs hanging everywhere and the smell was quite strong. That was a bit embarrassing. But no, it is improving and I just figure he has a strong gag response and like the previous posters' sister, he will learn to manage it better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now