Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone tried White Noise CDs?

(21 Posts)
spekulatius Sat 20-Apr-13 16:48:52

Do they work for getting babys to sleep. Just wondered if its worth trying.

mrsbugsywugsy Sat 20-Apr-13 18:06:54

definitely worked for dd. I just downloaded an app, didn't bother with CDs.

does your baby like the sound of the vacuum cleaner / hairdryer / car engine?

Redcliff Sat 20-Apr-13 18:10:04

I had a little bit of luck with this. DS calmed down when it was on but not sure if sleeping happened. Given that he was the worlds worst napper the fact that he stopped crying and lay in his moses basket resting was helpful. If it's not too expensive I would say it it is worth a shot - good luck.

abigboydidit Sat 20-Apr-13 19:27:49

Try a hairdrier or vacuum to see. DS never got any benefit from it but DD totally does and I used a free app of a hairdrier for naps in the first few weeks but have just invested in a mobile which does music and white noise. It's a life saver!

MrsJaqenHgar Sat 20-Apr-13 19:30:13

The hairdryer worked a treat for DD when she was tiny. Then we got a mobile that plays heartbeat and nature sounds etc and switched to that.

thebeastandbeauty Sat 20-Apr-13 19:30:36

Yes, they worked with both of mine.

I bought a CD for DC2 after burning out a hairdryer with DC1.

Be prepared for people to give you judgy hmm faces over it, though.

pictish Sat 20-Apr-13 19:32:03

I used to put ds1 next to the washing machine. My own mother used to put the hoover into the baby's room, switch it on and shut the door.
They seem to work.

mum47 Sat 20-Apr-13 19:34:02

I used one years ago with ds1 who was a dreadful sleeper. It worked amazingly and was a life saver for me as well. Good luck.

MrsHiddleston Sat 20-Apr-13 19:36:40

I had a free app that played white noise... It was 3 years ago now, but it was marvellous. I can't remember, something like 'baby white noise'. It also played other noises and bizarrely road traffic kept my DS asleep really well.

PJM18 Sat 20-Apr-13 23:33:32

Hi. Mine had a slumber bear which has a unit in it which plays a choice of various sounds including white noise, music, heartbeat sound and voice recording. I ended up taking the sound box out of the bear and just using that as it was easier. It is activated by sound ie if baby cries or you can just tap it when it goes off and it will come on again. I think my sons liked it and I certainly did, so much so that even if my lo was sleeping I would tap it so it came back on and it helped me sleep! I especially liked the white noise.

80sMum Sat 20-Apr-13 23:40:11

"Brown noise" seems to have a soothing effect on my Dgd. It has a deeper tone than white noise, so sounds a little less harsh.

Wereonourway Sat 20-Apr-13 23:49:22

I downloaded an app when ds was small. It seemed to help him through his colicky nights.

App was free too

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 21-Apr-13 09:28:22

Yeah we had a pink noise cd. It did help when DD was small and had the startle reflex but now (at 15mo) she always naps in her buggy with the washing machine on!

mum47 Sun 21-Apr-13 11:15:53

Who knew there were so many colours of noise! What are brown noise and pink noise? You only got white noise in my day.

PassTheTwiglets Sun 21-Apr-13 11:19:59

Just put the radio on and de-tune it! (not sure if de-tune is a word - I mean move the dial away from a station so you just hear static).

Mehrida Sun 21-Apr-13 15:25:19

Go to youtube.
Search 'Baby got colic'
Stuff cotton wool in your own ears.
Watch wailing banshee morph into cute sleepy baby.

Good luck!

CabbageHead Mon 22-Apr-13 14:08:47

OMG YES!!!! I would be rocking in the corner sucking my thumb in a tiny dark room right now without blessed white noise!!!

Ideal for calming screaming young babies, ideal for drowning out everyday sounds for NOISE SENSITIVE babies... I got happiest baby on block cd of white noise, the scary womb music was the best for calming crazy screaming baby, and we still use the rain track very softly at night time and lullabies as well to go to sleep!

My OH also recorded the washing machine and when DS was young I used to crank that recording up so loud in order to get him wound down for sleep.. Loads of apps u can download or CDs you can buy.. Best thing I bought was an air filter for DS room, so during the day I use that as white noise.. Some people just use a fan but unless it's very noisy it's not enough for our DS!

Quick get some asap and start to Enjoy the peace!

mrsbugsywugsy Mon 22-Apr-13 19:50:08

mehrida that video is freaky!

Mehrida Tue 23-Apr-13 08:30:15

It's awful isn't it? Can't imagine the kind of mind that could come up with it!

Thankfully the noise works a treat.

SouthBySouthWest Tue 23-Apr-13 17:44:23

Used it to great effect on DS1. DS2 did not need it. Downloaded a mp3 of brown noise, which is lower frequency than white noise. Put it on next to his head and you could almost see his brain switch off. The crying would almost instantly stop, and he would drift off. It had to be pretty loud, though!

Once he was fast asleep, we'd keep it on, but at a lower volume - I found it really relaxing for me, and as it drowned out all his little sniffles, it meant I wasn't jumping up to check on him every 60 seconds, which meant I slept better smile

gloucestergirl Tue 23-Apr-13 20:32:29

We downloaded it and it worked a treat for me and DH smile Not so sure about DD though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now