Talk

Advanced search

Argh, when do they stop eating everything?!

(7 Posts)
WhispersOfWickedness Sat 20-Apr-13 15:44:16

DD is driving me mad. She's 20 months and is still eating lots of non-food items sad DS put lots of stuff in his mouth too, but not to this extent and I'm fairly sure he had stopped by her age. She is fine with toys etc, it's things that can be eaten iyswim. So if she is given access to them, she would definitely eat sand, mud, chalk, crayons, paint, pencils, grass etc. It's very frustrating and means it's really hard to do any kind of crafts with her as she just eats the materials hmm this means that I feel like I can only do that kind of stuff with DS when she is napping and I would love to do more with him sad Can also see us having problems in the garden this summer. Has anyone got any advice? She knows it's wrong as she will go off where I can't see her to eat crayons/chalk hmm

seeker Sat 20-Apr-13 15:47:32

I was just coming on to say never- my 17 year old dd brought some friends home a week or so ago, and they literally ate everything! When I woke up in the morning, it was like locusts had been in! But I see that's not what you meant. grin

WhispersOfWickedness Sat 20-Apr-13 15:53:14

Haha grin
You're right, that is not quite what I meant, although she does eat vast quantities of food as well, she can easily out-eat her 3 yo brother confused No idea where she puts it as she is a skinny little thing too confused

MiaowTheCat Sat 20-Apr-13 17:23:25

I taught a 9 year old once who ate the seats in his dad's brand new car (literally teeth marks out of the side of the back of the driver one)...

WhispersOfWickedness Sat 20-Apr-13 17:45:22

<sobs>

Angelfishmum Mon 22-Apr-13 10:06:54

Hi I still have the same problem with my daughter who is nearly 3! She puts absolutely everything in her mouth so I have the same problem of no crafts etc as she will eat everything and ruin all the pens pencils and crayons so older daughter can't use often either! I done know what to suggest other than be very careful with what is accessible to them as mine has also found great grandmas tablets and eaten them! So good luck! I am considering asking gp to refer us to a behavioural therapist if that is possible as I thought she would grow out of it but she is actually getting worse and much more deliberate! HV did suggest just ignore her but that is hard to do when can be so dangerous! confused

WhispersOfWickedness Mon 22-Apr-13 12:51:27

Oh my goodness, Angel confused You're right, it's the risk of it being dangerous that worries me sad
I think you'd be right to visit GP, I have researched online and it is a condition known as Pica, but doesn't apply to my dd yet as it is still developmentally appropriate for her age hmm I think it is supposed to be normal up until 2. Think I'll ride it out until her two year check and then ask the HV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now