Talk

Advanced search

10 month old naps?

(10 Posts)
Weezie85 Fri 19-Apr-13 11:55:16

Hello, just wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 10 month old daughter whose schedule looks like the below. She is starting to not sleep at the middle nap but gets really grumpy if she doesn't have it till the next nap. Just wanted to know what other peoples 10 month olds did?
6.30-7am get up and have breastfeed
7.30 breakfast
9am Nap for an hour. Breastfed after nap as refuses before.
12pm go for a nap, usually 30mins to an hour
1.30pm have lunch
3.30-4pm feed and go for a nap
5.30pm have dinner
6.30pm start bedtime routine, bath, feed and bed.
She gets a dreamfeed at 10pm and normally wakes about 3.30am for another feed.

A lot of my friends babies are already sleeping through and only have 2 naps. It seems like she wants to drop the middle nap, but like I said gets grumpy when she doesn't have it.

blacktreaclecat Fri 19-Apr-13 13:17:49

DS is 10 months. His routine is
6.30 milk
8am breakfast
10am nap for 1-1.5hrs
Milk on waking
12.30 lunch
2.30/3 nap for an hour or so
4 milk
5.30 tea
7pm milk and bed by 8 latest.
Hope that helps

blacktreaclecat Fri 19-Apr-13 13:19:03

He has slept through since he was 10w and dropped the dream feed at 16w. Xx

BoysRule Fri 19-Apr-13 13:55:49

My DS is 10 months and does this:

7am milk
7.30am breakfast
9am nap for an hour
12pm lunch
1pm nap for 1 and a half to 2 hours
5pm dinner
6.45pm milk
7pm bed

He slept through from about 2 months but I stopped b/feeding at 1 month and I think that makes a massive difference (not necessarily in terms of more filling milk but in terms of getting used to the comfort - I b/fed DS1 for longer and he woke every 2 hours in the night until I stopped b/feeding)

Could you hold her off the 12pm nap and give her lunch then a breastfeed and a nap around 1pm? She might sleep for a bit longer. Then no nap until bed time. This might mean she is more tired at night and sleeps through. She physically shouldn't need feeding between 7pm and 7am.

BoysRule Fri 19-Apr-13 13:57:11

I should say that I wake him up from his 9am nap after an hour (he would probably sleep longer) as I want him to be tired enough for his lunch time nap. I also do this because I want to go out and do something with DS1 and don't want to be stuck in the house all morning while he naps!

Fairylea Fri 19-Apr-13 14:01:02

Ds is 10 months. He has a nap at 8.30-9.30 and a nap between 12-2. He goes to bed at 6ish and sleeps through till about 6.

I would try bringing lunch forward to 11.30 and fill them up in the hope of encouraging a longer sleep midday. Then by the time bedtime comes (with no more naps in between) they should be exhausted and sleep longer at night... well that's what works for us anyway !!

Fairylea Fri 19-Apr-13 14:02:09

I wouldn't stop the middle nap I'd aim to drop the last nap and bring bedtime forward if necessary.

forevergreek Fri 19-Apr-13 14:07:12

I would give lunch then nap, as probably waking due to hunger.

So:
9-10am approx ( in a few months gradually decrease by 10mins- around 15-16 months usually drop)

Then 1-3pm long nap ( hopefully keep this one as long as possible)

If still tired late afternoon then a short 4.30-5pm nap ( this is the first one to drop when ready)

Weezie85 Fri 19-Apr-13 14:11:30

Thanks all. I will try and do a nap after lunch I think.

CabbageHead Sat 20-Apr-13 13:46:09

Hi my DS is 12mths now and just starting to transition to one nap (Cor blimey!) but although he has always been crap sleeper, things starting to get better now, only just started to STTN ... 2weeks before his 1st birthday!! At 10months there is also a sleep regression re milestones, standing, crawling, walking etc.. We went overseas for holiday at 10 months, so it took a while to get back into routine, plus milestones etc.

At 10 mths His routine was normally wake 7ish, started refusing bf in morn due to excitement about being awake (!).. So have pretty much dropped this feed entirely now, just gets water at breakfast (7.30ish) then nap approx 2 to 2.5 hrs after awake time, sleeps for 1 hour or more... Lunch 11.30ish.. Bottle and down for second nap around 2pm ish (approx 3hrs after waking).. Then dinner at 4pm, bottle and bedtime 7pm could be earlier or later depending on how long last nap was.

I started to night wean recently as he had started to STTN at 10 mths but then we went on holiday so I bf to sleep if he woke while we were away. Got my DP to help nightwean, so if DS woke, he attended, not me with the boobs.. This has worked and def helped in STTN. (he has a dummy and lovey too whic I think are great comfort to him at night).

Sounds like she's ready to drop one nap. We went to sleep school at 7.5mths, and they got him onto 2naps but I knew he wasn't really ready for only 2naps, sometimes it's hard to know whether to go with advice or your own instinct, as ou are with them 24/7 so now them much better than anyone else. But if it doesn't seem to be working, she is probably ready for a change. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now