Talk

Advanced search

Have I become That Parent?

(7 Posts)
singinintherain Thu 18-Apr-13 13:00:33

I just complained to the organisers of a stay and play at a children's centre and don't think I can go back now.

It used to be full of great messy activities, like squidgy spaghetti in water and a big pile of mud with diggers on it. It was all at my one year old's level, and all child led.

Now, it has tables and chairs (primary school size, so you have to lift your child up and stay with them, because they can't get down by themselves) and bottles of hand sanitiser everywhere!

I voiced by objections at the beginning of the session (to two people who work there, and on a feedback form) and spent the rest of the time there feeling slightly unhinged and guilty. Now if I go back I'll be That Parent. Help!

MiaSparrow Thu 18-Apr-13 13:23:26

Sounds like you were complaining because it's become more organised.

Are all the other kids too small for the tables and chairs?

singinintherain Thu 18-Apr-13 13:45:00

Yes, most of them are too small. It's the philosophy that seems to have changed. The woman that ran it before believed kids should get the chance to play with lots of wet/gooey/tactile stuff because it's more difficult to set up at home. Children used to be able to flow between activities and now it's a bit stop and start. It used to be the
only place around here that did something different, that's what makes me feel so sad!

Davsmum Thu 18-Apr-13 14:00:31

If its all changed and you think its not as good then I think you should voice your opinion.
If they have feedback forms then they want feedback!
However, if its now run by someone with different ideas to the other lady and she wants to do it her way - then you may just have to find somewhere else to take your child.
You are not THAT parent - you are A parent and what you think is just as important as any other parent!

ellesabe Thu 18-Apr-13 19:14:55

Our children's centre has a new 'rule' that ALL toys must be disinfected after EVERY group that they run.

The result - they put fewer toys out.

singinintherain Thu 18-Apr-13 21:56:01

Eek! Craziness. I think I'm not going back, too embarrassed!

Jaffakake Fri 19-Apr-13 22:00:21

I'd get involved in the parents forum. All council run kids centres should have one. You have the right, as a customer & tax payer to state your views. The whole point of kids centres was to attract parents & provide engaging activities, not go health & safety mad & put people off. I'm a local authority worker & the odds are most of the staff will be glad you said something, cos they can't to their over zealous boss!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: