Talk

Advanced search

HELP my 23month old wakes at 515am everyday

(13 Posts)
Ifeelinadequate Wed 17-Apr-13 21:48:57

I cannot cope aggggh, He shouts (very loudly) "MUM" over and over and crys, until i bring him into our bed. I wouldnt mind if he then slept but he starts to move around and then trashes my bedroom after a while. I dont like to leave him to cry, as its a small house and my dd is 8 and needs sleeps for school obviously. I have tried leaving him to cry when i just cannot stand it, but im sure he will cry for hours if i left it that long. Ive tried going in every 5 mins and telling him its bed time still but to no avail. My husbaND however just says loudly, "bedtime" and ds quietens and goes back to bed. Shame 5 out of 7 days husband not there. any advice?

milly26 Wed 17-Apr-13 22:50:15

I havent tried it myself but there is a clock called a gro-clock sleep trainer, you tell the child that they have to stay in bed until the clock has a sunshine on it (you set what time that should come on) and then you have to stick to your guns. What I would say is if it is always the exact same time you could move the morning rime by 15 minutes each day with the clock, I suppose you could easily do it with a normal alarm clock, tell them they cant get out of bed until the alarm goes off. Good Luck!

ZuleikaD Thu 18-Apr-13 10:27:40

Between 5 and 5.30 is normal wakeup time for most toddlers, unfortunately.

dopeysheep Thu 18-Apr-13 10:32:13

Get a recording of your husband and play it loudly?

DorisShutt Thu 18-Apr-13 10:37:42

Gro clock!

DS is 2.6 and knows he isn't allowed up before the sun. We started setting it a few minutes after his normal waking time (it was 5.30am so we set it for 5.35am) and then after a few days we added 5 minutes and left it for a few days. We kept shifting it until it got to 6am.

We did say he could get up and "read" or play, but it had to be quiet and that any noise (unless he was ill) when he was playing and he would lose a privilege (in his case he gets to watch Thomas the Tank Engine over breakfast). It took about 3-4 weeks but he did get it.

ZuleikaD Thu 18-Apr-13 14:36:43

Under-2 is still a bit young for a Gro-Clock - it doesn't work unless you can reward them for 'staying in bed until the sun' and at 23m they don't understand much about consequences.

mezza123 Thu 18-Apr-13 18:58:22

Shorter nap and blackouts? It isn't always normal in toddlers, mine never did... But then I kept an eye on nap length and used blackouts (Gina ford fan I'm afraid!)

Tommy Thu 18-Apr-13 19:01:29

mine woke up before 6 every day - they have just stopped now (or maybe they still do but I don't know about it) and the youngest is 6.
That's just the way some of them are.....
confused

fififrog Thu 18-Apr-13 20:53:07

What time does he go to bed? If he's getting 10hrs of sleep or more a night could you put him to bed later? My DD is 2.1 and we cured this last summer by moving bedtime back half an hour after a couple if weeks she started sleeping past 5.30 every night. She now usually sleeps til six.

Wishwehadgoneabroad Thu 18-Apr-13 20:56:54

Clearly husband says 'bedtime' like he means it ;)

and your DS knows you don't hmm

You need to get tough, it's all in the voice and I'd say ignore! (unless clearly he's distressed, but if he's just trying it on, which sounds like he is..)

MajaBiene Thu 18-Apr-13 20:58:19

If he goes to bed early, he may have had enough sleep by then. DS only sleeps 10.5 maybe 11 hours at night, so if he goes to bed at 7pm he's awake at 5.30am.

charyar Sat 20-Apr-13 10:25:16

Thank you everyone! lots of food for thought. love the recordng idea!!!

Jakeyblueblue Sat 20-Apr-13 13:14:08

I put my 22 month ds to bed when he asks, usually around 10 ( late for many I know!) but he then doesn't get up until 9 maybe even 9.30. In my experience you don't ever get toddlers that go to bed early and sleep in late, I think it's one or the other and you have to work out which end of the day you'd rather they were asleep. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now