Talk

Advanced search

Who or what is tizzie hall?

(11 Posts)
Helsbelscm Wed 17-Apr-13 19:53:33

Now let me start by saying I don't want to start a great big bun fight but was with a friend who told me she used Tizzie Hall's methods to help her D C sleep. What kinds of things might this be? The website obviously doesn't want to give much away as it wants you to buy the books!

gloucestergirl Wed 17-Apr-13 21:01:19

I read her book. It was okay. Very helpful about feeding rather than sleep. The sleep bit, if I remember rightly, was basically controlled crying. Daytime was pretty tightly routined, which I totally ignored as my DD at the time would no way start sleeping bang on 11 am (or whenever) and then wake up at exactly 45 mins later (or whatever). She also has a website where you can buy a comforter. Or do what I did and use the vest I was wearing that day - still a good tip though.

Overall - nothing partically new but some good tips to be had.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Apr-13 21:54:31

Not read her books or subscribed to her website but think there is a Facebook group called something like Tizzie Hall didn't save our sleep, you might also want to read this before you part with any cash.

If you are having difficulties with sleep we might be able to help if you tell us your issues. Have a look at this on normal infant sleep and you might be interested in Sound Sleep by Sarah Woodhouse. Its evidence based, written by a mother and doesn't require you to buy blankets that go against the SIDS guidelines smile

teacher123 Thu 18-Apr-13 22:08:34

I read it and it gave me the confidence to leave DS one evening at bedtime just to see what happened. (He was 4mo) And he fell asleep in 8 minutes with almost no crying whatsoever. I suddenly realised that he was a baby who needed to be alone to sleep, and he remains the same at nearly a year. All that time I spent rocking him to sleep, stroking, shh patting just wound him up more.

I read all the books-tizzie hall, NCSS, gina, baby whisperer and Ferber and took little bits I liked from all of them. I actually hated the baby whisperer the most-it really made me feel inadequate.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Apr-13 22:19:45

Don't think you are alone in hating the BW teacher, its so prescriptive that if your baby won't comply lots of mothers do end up feeling just like that.

BlueChampagne Fri 19-Apr-13 11:56:45

Oh, here was me thinking tizzie hall was an alternative for the naughty step ...

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Apr-13 15:02:21

Blue think it is the naughty step for babies who cry.

BlueChampagne Fri 19-Apr-13 16:04:37

or where you go to have a strop.

GingerDoodle Fri 19-Apr-13 20:07:31

I read the book and found it brilliant. DD, around 3 months old was roughly on the routines anyway so I gave me confidence and help with timing her feeds. Now at 6 1/2 months DD's naps have been changing so i dipped back into the book and found there is a revised routine from 6 1/2 months which is helpful.

The self soothing bit advocates the importance of a baby being able to soothe themselves - not using props / rocking / dummies etc. We use a dummy but I do agree with the principle. I don;t recall anything in the book advocating crying it out. Distinguishing a baby having a whinge on the way to sleep which doesn't need anything to a baby upset and needing you it does. Our DD will sometimes have a moan, especially if overtired, but its a very different sound to when she drops her dummy and wants it back.

I ignored the feeding section as it didn't fit with my ideas (I do a mix of blw and pouches).

My advice would be to get the book from amazon or ebay, read it, and take the bits that work for you!

GingerDoodle Fri 19-Apr-13 20:13:22

Sorry should have added. The routines in the book are laid out fairly rigidly. I don't think its essential to follow them to the letter (although obviously the book says otherwise). When we were home over Christmas it worked very well following it but once DH was back at work we had to adapt it to work for us.

Helsbelscm Sun 21-Apr-13 20:13:00

Thanks for the info. I realise it might have seemed an odd kind of post but my friend was offering to come over & help me with DD's sleep. I didn't really know how to about asking her what she planned ad worried if I didn't like her suggestions she might be a bit upset as she has done this with both her DCs. I have already posted on here about DD's sleep as have been mildly obsessed with it as it is rubbish! (crap naps waking every 1-2 hours every night screamingas she goesoff to sleep all thetime) Anyway am posting from next to a sleeping baby who for the last 2 nights has managed to go to sleep without crying by me just lying next to her bed not even touching her. This feels like some major progress from where we were fingers crossed it continues!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now