Talk

Advanced search

DS is biting himself because 'it feels good'

(8 Posts)
JammySplodger Tue 16-Apr-13 22:42:15

I noticed yesterday two little marks on his forearm, and tonight in the bath another on his shoulder. Asked him about it and he said he did it because 'it felt good'. He's 6 & a half.

The marks aren't big, haven't broken the skin, and I think might just be little 'lovebites' rather than teeth bites (will check again in the morning).

I've asked him please don't but not made a big deal otherwise, not really sure if I should say anything else.

Has anyone else had this? Am I more worried than I should be?

frazzledbutcalm Wed 17-Apr-13 11:12:50

My 8 yr old does this, not teeth biting, 'love biting' ... he likes the red marks he makes on his arm hmm confused
I discourage him but also don't make a big deal. He only does it now and again.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 17-Apr-13 11:40:42

Oh dear grin Now you know what he'll be up to when he grows up... Sorry, too funny!

Thewhingingdefective Wed 17-Apr-13 11:42:58

Sounds like a sensory processing thing. My DS (7) chews fingers and bites his hands and clothes.

I quite like biting my hand too. Not to draw blood though.

You can get chewing toys for kids that like to bite/chew and need oral sensory stimulation.

frazzledbutcalm Wed 17-Apr-13 12:47:30

lol drink!

I think it's just a stage as they like to see the marks. It's a novelty.

JammySplodger Wed 17-Apr-13 12:54:09

Thanks frazzled, glad to hear it's not just him and I hope it is just a phrase!

And whinging, I've not really noticed him biting generally but will keep an eye out, thanks.

Littlefish Wed 17-Apr-13 12:55:28

Dd went through a stage of doing this too. We just ignored it and she eventually stopped.

JammySplodger Wed 17-Apr-13 13:11:15

Thanks Littlefish smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now