Talk

Advanced search

22 month old twins not talking... At all!

(17 Posts)
IllegalYoniFarm Tue 16-Apr-13 21:08:03

My twin boys, they do not say any recognisable words.

One says 'shoes' as clear as day when its time to get shoes on, but only to repeat me saying 'shoes' to get everyone out the door, if i point to a shoe and ask what is it, he doesn't say it. He also says 'dye' for bye, but hasnt said it for a week or so.

The other says nothing, he babbles and makes sing song noises but nothing recognisable.

Neither name me or DH, no 'mama' or 'dada' they babble da da da da da but don't associate the word with DH being 'dada'

Their hearing is fine, they recognise their names and answer to them.

I showed twin 1 some photos today and asked 'who's that' (me, DH, DS1) he smiled when he saw the pic but wouldn't say anything and just got annoyed.

Is there anything I can/should be doing? They do babble to each other and seem to be having conversations with each other but just sing song noises.

DS1 was always a talker and said lots more by this age, but I'm not in the habit of comparing them with him as they were prem (only 4 weeks) but tiny.

I've never been overly concerned but their nursery key worker mentioned it today so now it's got me thinking

IllegalYoniFarm Tue 16-Apr-13 21:08:22

Thankyou smile

timidviper Tue 16-Apr-13 21:11:53

I think twins are often later speaking than singletons but I don't know what is normal for them I'm afraid. I know my friend's twins spoke late but they are now 13 and are fine.

Lindyhopper29 Tue 16-Apr-13 21:11:59

My son said very little of any significance until he was 3. We had forgotten how bad it was until we unearthed a video of his old birthday parties.

He waited until he could say complete sentences, rather than say single words or baby-talk.

IllegalYoniFarm Tue 16-Apr-13 21:16:31

Timid, that's always been my thought really that i shouldn't compare them to DS1 or other singletons, if they are anything like DS1 i will be willing them to stop grin

Thats interesting Lindy, its funny how quick you forget isnt it!

InkySkink Tue 16-Apr-13 21:24:35

Could they be developing a private language?
multiples.about.com/od/twintoddlers/a/twintalk.htm
It is a pair of distant cousins of mine did this.

Lindyhopper29 Tue 16-Apr-13 21:29:22

Illegal - I also forgot to add that he had a very bossy older sister who spoke on his behalf.

After watching the videos, she said "Oh God I was an awful child wasn't I?"

stella1w Tue 16-Apr-13 21:33:39

My dc just a bit younger. He had a few words at 14 months, then lost everything except mama. I thought his hearing was fine but just been diagnosed with bad glue ear.

IllegalYoniFarm Tue 16-Apr-13 21:39:06

I do find that actually, if i ask one of them a question while DS1 is in the room, he answers for them, a lot of that is for attention, he struggles with the fact he can't have all the attention all of the time!

I will have a look at the twin language thing, I certainly think that could be a possibility, thankyou.

IllegalYoniFarm Tue 16-Apr-13 21:41:14

Stella, Twin1 (the one who doesnt talk at all) gets reoccurring ear infections, we are due to go back to the GP after clearing up the latest one to see if there are any underlying problems with that, it's always the same ear and probably once every two months sad

lolalotta Wed 17-Apr-13 06:22:28

I'm a twin, we were late talkers... apparently we developed our own little "language"! We're both ok now! grin

sleepywombat Wed 17-Apr-13 06:30:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IllegalYoniFarm Wed 17-Apr-13 07:08:09

Thankyou all, very reassuring, today we will be mostly loud parenting and repeating words irritatingly! grin

HollyMadison Wed 17-Apr-13 07:52:50

The Hanen book, It Takes Two to Talk, is good for encouraging speech. Having hearing properly tested is a good idea. DS improved when he had to talk to get what he wanted eg he had to say "up" before I'd lift him out of bed; or "more" for when he wanted more of something. It was hard at first and he'd screech or cry but then he suddenly got the point of it and is speaking in sentences just a few months later.

I read that children often don't like being tested eg if you say "what's that?" Etc so they won't answer even if they know. And apparently if you find yourself saying the word "say" it's probably time to stop. Eg "can you say.....?".

If you can find some really desirable toys or food you can use that to get them saying things like "more". At first reward them when they just open their mouth to make an effort.

Turn taking games with you, rather than other twin, are good. They start to learn that first you do something then they do something. Like conversation.

Good luck!

silverangel Wed 17-Apr-13 10:31:20

I have almost 21mo twins and they do have some words (glasses, shoes, dog, ball, daddy, no hint of mama or mummy yet) but they dont have many and are no where near putting them in order. One nods for yes if you ask a direct question, the other doesn't.

They are perhaps slightly ahead of twins in their peer group (with their rather odd collection of words) when I compare them to others at twins club so if you are happy with their hearing I wouldn't worry. All the books I have read point to twins generally talking later than singletons.

Do they understand instructions and / or can they point to things in a picture book?

Nancyclancy Fri 19-Apr-13 16:09:11

I have twin boys (9). Up until they were around 3 they barely said a word. They chatted to each other for a long long time in a language they both understood.
They have only just been signed off by the speech therapist who at one point even thought they had 'severe' learning difficulties. Although I never really thought this.

Now they are a couple of loud mouth clowns, they don't stop talking! They have a lot of friends and share lots of similar interests.
Looking back I really believe they chose not to talk not couldn't talk.

If your boys are beginning to understand what you are saying and their hearing is fine I wouldn't 't worry too much as they are still young.

FatherSpodoKomodo Sat 20-Apr-13 00:09:10

I have 9 year old twin boys too! And they didn't really start talking till they were 2.5. They had about 10 words before then, and definitely understood each other perfectly well when they babbled.

They did see a SALT a couple of times, who said it was common for twins to be late to talk. By then time they had their 3rd appointment they were chatting away so I saw no point in continuing to see them.

They never ever ever shut up now. It's a constant stream of chat and questions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now