Talk

Advanced search

2 Year old stuttering/speech blocking

(10 Posts)
thisisfartoohonest Tue 16-Apr-13 19:08:25

Does anyone have any knowledge about this? DD 2YO, speaks a lot for her age, she speaks in whole sentences and is able to hold a full conversation with me. She plays with a lot of older children and I think this has encouraged her speech a great deal. But recently she has started struggling with getting her words out. She'll either do this by dragging out the first sound of a word, by repeating a sound over and over before getting the word out, and more recently opening her mouth to speak and nothing coming out which I can tell causes her some kind of discomfort/ mild frustration. It is quite uncomfortable to listen to.

I know that stuttering is common during speech development, but I guess I am just looking for reassurance and wondering if anyone has had similar experience. I am trying to just ignore it, give her time to talk, and not rush her.

Thanks smile

Barbeasty Tue 16-Apr-13 20:18:48

DD was similar, and seems to start stuttering whenever her speech is developing.

We followed the HV advice and were just careful to let her finish what she was trying to say.

She's nearly 3 now and although she occasionally stutters, quite often she'll just throw in a made up word- currently gog.

thisisfartoohonest Wed 17-Apr-13 10:05:38

Thanks Barbeasty

Did your DD also do the speech blocking? This is what is worrying me the most. DD opens her mouth really wide to try and get the sound out, but it doesn't come. She looks confused and in mild discomfort with this.

DP wants us to see a Speech Therapist, but I'm wondering if this is 'normal' i terms of speech development?

Littleraysofsunshine Wed 17-Apr-13 10:21:37

Oh my goodness! I was just about to post something similar! She's very forward, speaks like a five year old! But this week, I've noticed (more so when tired as she's been skipping nap) that she stutters sometimes. Is it just a burst of info in the brain that she can't get out fast enough??

thisisfartoohonest Wed 17-Apr-13 10:33:35

How old is your DD Littleray ? This is how my dd started about a month ago and now it's getting worse, with this whole speech blocking, poor little thing.

Littleraysofsunshine Wed 17-Apr-13 11:43:44

She's two years six months. It's minor at the minute but more noticeable this week and when over tired.

Barbeasty Wed 17-Apr-13 20:04:32

I'm trying to think, but I don't remember her blocking.

It might be worth having a word with your HV.

Littleraysofsunshine Thu 18-Apr-13 14:15:27

She doesn't do it all the time. I find it more so when tired in the afternoon. And when she's asking for something. Like "I..I..I. Would like a drink please" her speech is incredible though, almost as if her brain is too quick for her mouth lol

lichfieldlass Thu 18-Apr-13 16:57:53

My 4 year old did exactly this at around that age. We were really concerned because just like yours he had always been really chatty and had an advanced vocabulary for his age. A family friend who was an early years teacher reassured us this was completely normal for quite advanced children. I can't remember the exact explanation but it was something like that at around this age, children are starting to realise there is a beginning, a middle and an end to the story they are trying to tell. Their brains are therefore thinking about the end when they start talking and this gives them the stutter - so like sunshine says in effect their brains are going too quick for their little mouths!

Our friend advised us that we were to listen carefully to what he was trying to say, not to interrupt and (however tempted we were) not to finish his sentence for him! Instead we were to get down to his level, look him in the eye and then repeat back to him whatever he said... so "I see DS, you are doing the cooking" or "ok, you want a little drink, here's your little drink..." etc. Usually the sentences were much longer and convoluted than that (as I'm sure yours are!) but hopefully you get the drift! It's time consuming but it is effective. Our friend told us it should correct itself within 6 months and if it didn't we should consult a speech therapist then. For us it actually stopped much quicker than that. It got really bad after about 2 weeks and it couldn't say a thing without stuttering and would get very frustrated but we kept patient, kept repeating and suddenly after about 4 weeks, it disappeared completely.

Once, it stopped he seemed to be on a whole new level speech-wise, saying longer more complex sentences. A few months later, it came back again, but disappeared within 2 weeks I think and again it seemed to accompany a step change in his vocab and overall speech. He's now an extremely eloquent 4 year old with no sign of a stutter at all.

I hope that helps. I think its generally a good sign! Just needs a bit of perseverance and a lot of patience on your side and if its still there after a few months then see the speech therapist! Good luck.

thisisfartoohonest Wed 24-Apr-13 10:38:54

lickfieldlass I have only just seen your reply. Thanks so much, that's really reassuring. smile We have been doing as you suggested, and whilst she is still stammering, the speech blocking hasn't happened for a good while. Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now