Advanced search

Independent speech therapy?

(11 Posts)
IcouldstillbeJoseph Sun 14-Apr-13 03:50:54

DS 2.3 has had severe glue ear problems since birth really. Hearing loss and recurrent infections and grommets at 18mo - after which they said they'd underestimated how impaired his hearing had been for a long time.
Never babbled. Was mute until 18mo.
Anyway, I thought we were making some real progress with his speech but he's still very behind.
I'm thinking of having him independently assessed as the NHS waiting list so long. Was wondering if anyone had any experience?
I have done lots of googling to see if there is anything I can do to help him but I think he needs professional input now...

Chottie Sun 14-Apr-13 03:59:59

Hello, my son needed speech therapy as he had recurrent ear infections too. He did have some speech therapy, but as the local need was so great it was minimal. I went to my doctor and she helped with a recommendation. He went privately and it made a real difference. By the time he went to school he had caught up. Fast forward and you would never, ever know that he had delayed speech and it has not impeded his progress at all. Good luck, I know first hand just how worrying this can be.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Sun 14-Apr-13 04:03:16

I am very impressed to get such a swift response at this time in the morning!!

ScooseIsLooseOnTheLoopyJuice Sun 14-Apr-13 08:02:41

Hi we are currently waiting for our dd to be assessed by the autistic spectrum pathway and to be seen by an nhs speech therapist. We were told the waiting list is a minimum of six months and so in the meantime we are paying for a private speech therapist for an hour once a week. It's amazing how much dd has progressed in just a few sessions. We spoke to our health visitor who gave us a list of recommended therapists so that might be an idea for you.

GoAndAskDaddy Sun 14-Apr-13 22:15:12

If you look up HCPC (healthcare professionals council) you should be able to find someone locally. Speech Therapists have to be registered with the HCPC to practice. I found someone recently for a friend of mine this way & she was really good.
I'm registered with the HCPC, but not as a speech therapist.

GoAndAskDaddy Sun 14-Apr-13 22:19:27

Hi again - sorry, that was wrong! Look for the royal college of speech and language therapists first....(you can look for independent SLT's by area I think). Would then check they are registered with HCPC (they should be).

IcouldstillbeJoseph Mon 15-Apr-13 13:41:26

Thank you - I have called one today...

handcream Mon 15-Apr-13 13:47:56

Definitely dont wait! NHS lists are much much too long. We had to pay privately twice (two DS's) because the first time the lists were 12 months and the next time 18 months! Do what you can on the NHS. Offer to have a last minute cancellation if it helps. Every so often call the health authority and see if they have any last minute appointments.

I have a customer who has a speech problem. I wouldnt wish it on anyone...

WeAreSix Mon 15-Apr-13 14:00:51

Please don't wait. If you can afford to pay for private SLT now then go for it. I wish I'd followed my gut instinct and gone private.

kikidee Mon 15-Apr-13 14:13:04

Do you think might be able to help? I have a profoundly deaf DD, now 6, and we travelled to AV for 4 years and she is now age appropriate with speech and language. Whilst their input is fantastic for closing a gap, what is really critical is that the child can hear to the best possible extent at any time. If you have resolved your DS's audition issues with grommetts and/or hearing aids then AV are amazing.

hatchypom Fri 24-May-13 15:01:42

Another vote for AV here. Specialist in deaf children SLT. Amazing results with my 2

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: