Talk

Advanced search

4yr old, silly words (poo, bum etc)

(40 Posts)
dribbleface Sat 13-Apr-13 20:44:01

What to do? Ignore, punish? Tried both and he still is so silly. Know lots of children go through it but its driving me mad! He also has a stroppy teenager attitude. At my wits end and fed up. Please tell me it is not just mine, for what its worth he's good at school.

LaGuerta Sat 13-Apr-13 20:47:43

Not you're not alone. My 4yo thinks it is the height of sophisticated humour to sing the words "wee" and "poo" to all cbeebies songs. He is also into sticking his tongue out at me. No advice on how to get him to stop either. <grrr>

peedoffbird Sat 13-Apr-13 20:47:58

Oops! My dd and I can'tindulge in silly poo jokes and she is 10! Can't help it as I find it very funny <goes away to rethink parenting skills>.

Sorry I've been no help OP.

JamInMyWellies Sat 13-Apr-13 20:49:49

Dont worry about it. My 4yr old and 5yr old DS play eye spy, and their favourites are I spy with my little eye something beginning with stinky. Answer - poo. Everyone rolls around the floor laughing.

dribbleface Sat 13-Apr-13 20:51:50

To be honest he is funny but its too frequent and embarrassing at times. Also worried he might try it at school and his school is very strict.

ChompieMum Sat 13-Apr-13 20:54:00

Pretty hard to stop it as I think it is an age thing. My similar aged DC find nothing funnier than poo and like to talk about it as often as they possibly can. I take the line of making sure they understand when it is absolutely inappropriate to talk about it and ignoring it the rest of the time.

chocoluvva Sat 13-Apr-13 20:54:31

Don't worry - his school will be used to this sort of thing. I'd just ignore it and the novelty will wear off.

dribbleface Sat 13-Apr-13 20:54:39

So ignore? Try not to make an issue of it, might join in, that will shock him grin

Hedgepig Sat 13-Apr-13 20:55:04

Have you been borrowing my DS by any chance? he is doing the poo, wee thing too and also ending most sentences ".......and I zapped/hit them and they died" I expect holding he will grow out of it soon.

VitoCorleone Sat 13-Apr-13 20:56:14

My 4 year old is obsessed with poo at the minute.

Went to McDonalds today and he walked in singing at the top of his voice "Old McDonald had a poo ee eye ee eye oh"

Everything he talks about has to involve the word poo

dribbleface Sat 13-Apr-13 20:57:38

Hedgepig, everything is dead or dying too

JamInMyWellies Sat 13-Apr-13 20:58:10

He wont do it at school.

I can add to your horror and tell you as they get older they progress to much worse.

On a play-date the other day my DS 5yrs and friends all aged 5 or 6 were listening to music and decided to put on show. They came downstairs and proceeded to drop their jeans and pants and put on a willie show!

dribbleface Sat 13-Apr-13 20:59:03

Ok glad it's not just me. Work with children but other peoples children listen to me!

Nagoo Sat 13-Apr-13 20:59:54

it's an inevitability IME. Now DS has taught the baby to sing 'willy and the poo' instead of winnie the poo. Nursery are going to be SO impressed.

His teacher says he's sometimes a silly boy, and that she has a LOT of silly boys.

<resigned>

TheYoniOfYawn Sat 13-Apr-13 20:59:56

I love poo and wee jokes! I think that a bit of creative vulgarity really encourages children to play with language and ultimately improve their writing skills. Poo jokes today, poetry tomorrow, and all you need to do is teach them when it is utterly inappropriate, and be just stern enough that they feel naughty and subversive when saying "bum".

dribbleface Sat 13-Apr-13 21:00:43

jam - forgot to mention his flashing. Oh god........more wine needed

louisianablue2000 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:01:21

Normal. I tell DD1 that some people don't like certain things that we don't mind at home and so she has to be careful what she says in different places. The example we always give is that fart is Ok to say at home but nursery and school prefer pump which I find vile.

I think we have a psychological need to swear, DD1 went through a stage of saying 'bumpers' (thanks Chuggington) as a swearword and would say it in all the situations I'd say shit.

dribbleface Sat 13-Apr-13 21:03:18

True he can rhyme many a word with poo so ultimately helped his reading skills grin

SilveryMoon Sat 13-Apr-13 21:03:43

Both my ds's (4yo and 5yo) are the same. Drives me crazy. Everything is about poo, wee, bums.
Jam I really laughed when I read your post. I know I wouldn't find it funny if mine did that, but that really made me laugh.

I just say to mine "good word or bad word?" they say "bad word", nut it doesn't stop them, am starting to think this is something we have to wait out.

Wookiee101 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:04:34

DS1 is 4 and exactly the same. DS2 (2) copies him so we get a repeating chorus of 'poo' 'willy' 'bum' usually to the tune of twinkle, twinkle little star.

We try to ignore it whilst chuckling when we thin they're not looking grin

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 13-Apr-13 21:06:36

I don't think it's possible to prevent it! They are all at it. I'm sure school will be used to it and either have their own way of dealing with it or turn a blind eye!

SilveryMoon Sat 13-Apr-13 21:07:43

louis mine both said 'bumper' for a swear word.
Ds1 often calls ds2 'willy-face' which I think must be the child version of 'knob-head'
Ds1 now says 'buccaneers' which if I'm in another room always sounds like 'fucking hells' which he's been known to say also.

CheckpointCharlie Sat 13-Apr-13 21:11:53

We do rude Ispy in my house too naughty infant school teacher in fact my dd (4) has the pox so I spent a bit longer snuggling with her tonight and we played a 'who can think of the silliest word' competition.
I thought I had her at 'whizzle' but she trumped me with 'smelly boobs' and then laughed so much it made me laugh too! grin

dribbleface Sat 13-Apr-13 21:17:01

Ok will stop being so uptight about it. grin

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 13-Apr-13 21:20:13

You kind of zone it out eventually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now