Talk

Advanced search

What do I do about the book.

(11 Posts)
chubbymomie2012 Thu 11-Apr-13 16:31:31

I'm taking the children or an overnight stay on Saturday night to the town all my i laws live in. All the sisters and sil are going out for a 40th birthday. While I'm out she is taking kids to visit his brother who has 2 ds. When I told my dd this am she's 10. She was having a right strop and moan about how bored she was and why did she have to go etc. I told her it had to happen she had to be sociable end of story. She persisted in making Bitchy comments so I took her new novel off her. Told her she could have it back on Saturday to read then she won't be bored.
Now I had a tooth out under sedation today and have been in bed. She says she has retrieved the book from the at and is reading it!

What would u do about this????

MiaSparrow Thu 11-Apr-13 17:51:35

I don't know but deliberately or not, you're making damn sure she's going to love books when she's older! Well done! wink

ellesabe Thu 11-Apr-13 19:16:34

^ grin

SwishSwoshSwoosh Thu 11-Apr-13 19:21:52

Well she has rather thrown down the gauntlet! I would say she needs a bigger consequence for going behind your back, the problem is I don't see why you took her book away in the first place just for moaning about something, the two don't seem well linked!

chubbymomie2012 Thu 11-Apr-13 21:45:07

She was complaining she was going to be bored while they were visiting as there are no girl cousins to play with she was at pains to point out how bored she would be. I took the book so she would have it to read and then not be bored.

ellesabe Fri 12-Apr-13 08:46:41

So the natural consequence is that she will be bored at her cousins and she will have learnt her lesson.

PolterGoose Fri 12-Apr-13 13:00:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AllDirections Fri 12-Apr-13 13:14:39

Taking one book off a child isn't going to curb a love of reading, especially when it's a 10 year old reading a novel.

The OP's DD wasn't just having a moan, she had a strop and made bitchy comments. I would have done the same as you OP. So she won't have a book to read on Saturday, that's fine, but the issue now is different. I would definitely do something about it but I'm not sure what, it depends how you would normally deal with such behaviour.

MiaSparrow Fri 12-Apr-13 13:29:12

Yes, like I said, it'll do the opposite. I wasn't being sarcastic, All.

AllDirections Fri 12-Apr-13 13:46:30

Sorry Mia I read your post wrong

chubbymomie2012 Fri 12-Apr-13 18:49:08

no no no. I took the book off her on wednesday and said she could have it back on Saturday when we are at her cousins. that way she wont be bored then. i asked her for the book after she had repossessed it (for want of a better phrase) and she gave it back with nomargument so i let it slide. god she will have me in an early grave with her bitchy remarks and strops. im trying very hard to heed my sister in laws advice.......dont take it personally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now