Talk

Advanced search

12month old screaming at most mealtimes, any advice?

(9 Posts)
averagemum Thu 11-Apr-13 11:06:53

Hello, I think I probably know why this has started, but if anyone has any strategies on how to ride it out I'd be really grateful!

DC2 was a great, even a greedy eater, then:

1. had a tummybug
2. has been majorly teething
3. has become very interested in / wants exactly what anyone else is eating NOW
4. has dropped to one nap so is extra tired at lunchtime (11.30ish)

He self feeds all his meals, apart from yoghurt etc, but over the last 2 weeks will eat happily for about 2 minutes and then just start screaming even though he is still clearly hungry. It's almost as if he had an idea of what he wanted and this isn't it - even though I'm giving him things he previously loved!

I've tried putting our meal in a central bowl and giving him bits of it so he can see it's all the same but even that rarely works. It's hard because his big brother is at school and at teatime I want to hear about his day, but instead have a screamathon to deal with!

Today at lunch I just gave up and put him down for a nap.

Anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

jenduck Thu 11-Apr-13 12:14:14

Can you offer him buffet-type meals at least once a day? So, a selection of say sandwiches, crackers, cheese, ham, cucumber, carrot sticks etc? He may just fancy a little bit of lots of things, not a big serving of any one thing.

WeGotThere Thu 11-Apr-13 19:51:24

Hi my 12.5 month is doing this too. Like you say she'll start happily then suddenly get really angry and cry like the world is ending. After a while she'll start eating again but am constantly waiting for whatever hidden trigger sets her off again. She also self feeds except yoghurt and porridge which until recently she's been happy to take turns spooning in. Now she pushes my spoon away and persists alone but gets fed up cause she's not efficient enough yet. So sorry - no help at all but you're not alone. She is better with picky selection as jenduck suggests but can still have meltdown with this.

babySophieRose Thu 11-Apr-13 21:30:03

My LO does this when teething. I think it is because hard foods cause pain on the gums, she happily eats bread sticks but sucking them well before. I was giving her more softer foods like mush potatoes, boiled meat balls, pasta, porige, yogurt and always smear her gums with Anbesol before meals. Also when ill she dislikes cold yogurt and I leave it out of the fridge for half an hour before feeding her.

CabbageHead Fri 12-Apr-13 05:33:08

Same here, def to do with developmental, independence and OT.. All I'm am doing is having at least 3 interesting things to distract him while I feed him quickly as possible. Still give finger foods, but limit it, so I can get some more food into him myself then give him more finger foods at the end... I dnt give toys, but containers with lids with peg inside etc... Anything he is curious about that takes the focus off eating, as when I put spoon near his mouth, his mouth opens! Not sure if that wld help if they are already self feeding tho! Ad def noticed he is starting to get picky... Which is a shame cos he was a greedy pig too that wld eat anything lol!

fififrog Fri 12-Apr-13 08:12:28

Just try to ignore it. Easier said than done but the more attention you give it the more stressful it gets for you and they don't stop. I wasn't very good at ignoring it myself... But it does pass!

fififrog Fri 12-Apr-13 08:13:59

Also if very tired just eat earlier or after nap. We had lunch at 11 for a month or so at that age

averagemum Fri 12-Apr-13 09:01:14

Wow - thanks for the replies and solidarity! Funnily enough after the scream-iest lunch ever, he did an epic 2h30 nap and then ate his tea like the serenest baby on the planet. The teething has definitely calmed down too, so I'm sure you're right that tiredness and teeth don't help. But that said if he gets the sneakiest suspicion that anyone is eating anything more interesting, he will kick off - and that, like pointing urgently at random things, seems to be developmental. I'm sure his brother probably did this too but like so many things I must have blanked it... Will try lunch at 11am today and see how that goes!

WeGotThere Fri 12-Apr-13 09:19:01

Def think its developmental and independence, may be linked to teeth too I think tooth number 12 is working its way up (about time as other 3 molars cut weeks ago - maybe the top molar is hurting the lower gum when she chews???). Just hope it passes soon!! Will try eating earlier today - fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now