Talk

Advanced search

can the vibrations of being pushed in the pram, harm a baby

(19 Posts)
k12345678 Wed 10-Apr-13 18:38:33

hi, this is my first post. I've found lots of advice on here for many of my questions, but not this one so here goes;

I have a 4 week old, and have a bugaboo chameleon pram with the carrycot. I want to get myself fit again, and I am wondering if there is a maximum time period a baby should be pushed along in a pram for. the town I live in is very hilly, and the pavements are quite undulating and not very smooth, and I worry that the vibrations over a long period of time might harm him? would daily walks of 2 hours be ok for him? He seems to love these walks, and are the only times I can guarantee that he'll sleep soundly throughout.

nannynick Wed 10-Apr-13 19:17:07

Prams, think the sliver cross carriage, used to have big springs. These days do prams have big springs? Maybe they should.
Doubt there is any research into what damage could be caused.

Would using a sling be better if the route was rather bumpy?

k12345678 Wed 10-Apr-13 19:43:48

Hi, thanks for reply. I decided against using a sling while he is under 3 months, because when I was doing my research I discovered there have been a number of deaths in the US, Australia and New Zealand from tiny babies who stopped breathing in slings, due to their airways being compromised and their mothers thought they were sleeping.

nannynick Wed 10-Apr-13 19:50:44

Yep, anything can be a danger. I watched a tv prog about Victorian times, back then even the wallpaper was a danger and killed babies!

Maybe you should try not to worry too much about this sort of thing, you don't want to not go anywhere at all because your som may or may not sustain an injury. Babies like movement, your son sleeps whilst moving, so he is happy. If the route is too bumpy, then look at other routes. Use your own judgement for what you feel is safe for your baby.

lola88 Wed 10-Apr-13 22:05:30

I doubt it. Can you strap him in? The tiny baby bit of my pram had a sort of strap just 2 bits of padded material that overlapped to stop DS moving over an bumps, my friends didn't and on the first walk she found her baby 'bounced' a little which i assume wouldn't be good but is easily fixed you can buy things to sit at either side of baby to stop them moving.

MiaowTheCat Thu 11-Apr-13 07:47:13

I'd think the speed bumps my husband took at about 40mph when I was in labour would be more harmful! (If not to baby - to him! How did he manage to perfectly time every single one for mid-contraction?!)

I wouldn't worry - although those huge Silver Cross prams had suspension all over the place and stuff - prams these days have air tyres, less obvious suspension and everything else... I live in a ridiculously hilly bit of town with nafftacular pavements and DD1's emerged unscathed, and DD2 consistently zonks out asleep in her pram... the only problem we did have is kind of what someone mentioned previously - DD1 in particular was quite premature and was only 5lb when discharged from hospital so was tiny in the carrycot part of her pram - and everytime we had to get the pram up and down kerbs - she'd slide down and disappear until I put half our blanket store and a moby wrap down the bottom of the pram to stop it! DD2's pram has a velcro tummy strap like someone mentioned to stop the disappearing baby thing!

I tend to work on the assumption that if something's pissing a baby off they'll let you know about it and not just sleep blissfully on!

BabyRuSh Thu 11-Apr-13 07:52:51

I think if you use a sling correctly then it's a great way to get out and about. It's the pouch slings that have been related to deaths I believe. A stretchy wrap like a moby is amazing for the first few months.

Novia Thu 11-Apr-13 07:56:36

My mother always says its good for them to be in a pram as it teaches then to flex their muscles, etc over bumpy bits. She had a big coach-built pram and raised four of us without injury!

Oblomov Thu 11-Apr-13 07:57:50

I think you are worrying unnecessarily and both a sling and long pram rides are fabulous for both baby and mum.

Cyclebump Thu 11-Apr-13 08:06:16

Congrats on the baby!

I regularly walked for long distances with DS in the carrycot attachment of our iCandy Cherry. It doesn't have air tyres and our local pavements and towpaths aren't in great condition. He loved the fresh air and slept well and I loved getting out in the sunshine.

My health visitor and doctors all thought it was great to give him fresh air and me some exercise. There was never concern over harm to DS ever.

For hiking style walks I used a sling, but I noticed you're not keen on them. Mine was a Godsend but, if you're really worried about using one and it'll stress you out then you won't get the benefit and should go with what you're comfortable with smile

PurplePidjin Thu 11-Apr-13 08:15:49

Pouch type slings used incorrectly can be dangerous. Same as leaving the brakes off the pram and a gust of wind blowing it down hill. Wrap type slings are recommended for premature babies, and my local midwife unit has recently bought some for mums to use instead of the awful goldfish bowl cots.

Google "kangaroo care" for more information.

You're unlikely to get Shaken Baby Syndrome from a nice stroll in a modern pram although my 5mo absolutely howls in the buggy despite being fine in the offroad one and adoring the sling

MiaowTheCat Thu 11-Apr-13 09:08:24

Oh god - our local hospital is still FIRMLY in the "lug your baby fish tank behind you wherever you go" mindset... particularly for preemies... I do remember muttering dark things about "I don't recall giving birth to a fucking perspex box" on more than one occasion when in there.

I used a sling with mine a lot until about 5 months (my SPD got too bad with number 2 and I was relying on the buggy to lean on a bit since crutches + baby don't work well together) - was too fecking lazy to get the buggy out of the car boot if I was driving anywhere!

PurplePidjin Thu 11-Apr-13 09:45:47

I had ds in November and got dp to bring the stretchy in the next day. next time it's coming in the hospital bag! I was told he should be in the bowl thing in case of fire/evacuation. I just looked hmm at them and was agreed with grin Now they have them available

I live in an upstairs flat with no downstairs storage. Buggy is a total pita - i can't leave the baby in the flat while i carry it up, i can't leave the baby in the street while i carry it up, and i can't carry both up at the same time. Let alone actually purchasing food!

flossymuldoon Thu 11-Apr-13 10:01:33

The bumps are not going to be significant enough to cause any problems and movement is great for babies/children and stimulates brain development.

I have an adopted DS and encouraged to anything that moved/rocked him to stimulate his brain.

k12345678 Fri 12-Apr-13 08:49:48

thanks all! I've since asked my doctor and my midwife the same question and they too have reassured me that a slightly bumpy pram ride, even on long walks will not harm him at all. smile

AprilFoolishness Fri 12-Apr-13 09:16:49

I think the only exception to this is running buggies, which have a minimum age recommendation to do with head control, but you can get serioue pace in them (well I can't, but some people can!)

Willdoitinaminute Sat 13-Apr-13 14:42:37

I had the same worries when DS had first trip across rough ground on well sprung 3 wheeler. My lovely sis laughed and told me I'd be seeking out cobbled streets within weeks because babies love the vibration and it sends them to sleep. Welcome to motherhood and the first of many worries.

GingerDoodle Sat 13-Apr-13 21:45:10

2 1/2 weeks - 3 months. 2 X 2.5 - 3 hour commutes from Sussex to London. DD is 6 months old and perfectly fine. I have a Mutsy 4Rider with good suspension smile

MajaBiene Sat 13-Apr-13 21:47:58

It's only a certain style of sling that is dangerous (bag slings) and I think they are not on sale anymore anyway. A wrap or buckled carrier with the baby upright is absolutely fine.

The traditional Silver Cross prams are much bumpier than the ones we have today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now