Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

6 week old hasn't slept for 12 hours

(9 Posts)
Anypants Wed 10-Apr-13 01:11:07

My 6 week old DD has been awake since midday and constantly feeding. Every time she starts to drift off, I try to put her down but she wakes up immediately and wants to feed more. I am bf and thought it might be the growth spurt like she had at 3 weeks but this is worrying. How can I encourage her to sleep?

Cravingdairy Wed 10-Apr-13 01:25:40

Can you put her down asleep? I wouldn't worry about 'bad habits' at this stage if that's concerning you.

Bragadocia Wed 10-Apr-13 01:28:48

Do you share a bed with DD at all? Would you be happy to have a go at sleeping on your side so she can feed and doze as much as she needs to through the night, and you can get some sleep too? She might sleep for longer if she isn't feeling disrupted by being put down. Doing this pretty much saved my sanity with DS, although I really hadn't wanted to at first - driven by exhaustion...

Anypants Wed 10-Apr-13 01:38:36

Can't really co-sleep as don't have the set up, only a moses basket, which she's normally fine with. Not sure what the problem is as she just nearly drifted off again, I didn't move but she just woke up and started crying.

Bragadocia Wed 10-Apr-13 01:45:46

There's no possibility of anything gassy troubling her is there?
Sorry, I can't think of anything more helpful. I do hope she sleeps soon.

moreyear Wed 10-Apr-13 01:47:44

If she has been awake for 12 hours you really just need to focus on getting her to sleep this time - feed her to sleep if you can then don't move till she is in a good, deep sleep 10-20 minutes after she falls asleep - then back cautiously away, fingers crossed, internally praying etc.

Overtired baby's are so fractious and jumpy and hard to settle, just get her down anyway you can. If you are worried about a routine you are much better to start again when she isn't overtired. Good luck.

moreyear Wed 10-Apr-13 01:54:04

By 'this time' I mean as opposed to worrying about setting a precedent for future times (which honestly don't worry about anyway) I wasn't meaning to imply all your efforts so far haven't been your very b
est attempts to get her to sleep.

Anypants Wed 10-Apr-13 03:51:36

Thanks moreyear - Not bothered by routine, just making sure she's ok as it must be making her worse the more tired she gets. Popped her in her basket 20 mins ago as she was asleep(ish) and although she woke, I abandoned her, went to the loo then tried to keep her settled with a hand on her chest. Currently, she is 'sleeping' but not sure if it is a stealth tactic so am sleeping here on the sofa, next to her, for fear of moving her basket to the bedroom. I know i'll sleep, but will she?hmm

Meringue33 Wed 10-Apr-13 04:56:26

Think there is a growth spurt at 6 weeks too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now