Talk

Advanced search

Swapping from formula

(16 Posts)
Charjam1 Tue 09-Apr-13 15:35:15

Hi. My son is a year old and Hv has said to swap from sma to cows milk. Anyone got any advice about this? Feel aprehensive?? X

kittykat10 Tue 09-Apr-13 15:50:23

id just go slowley with it , have you been introducing cows milk in his food

Charjam1 Tue 09-Apr-13 15:53:46

He has cows milk for brekkie on his weetabix.

jenduck Tue 09-Apr-13 15:56:16

When I did it with my 2, I introduced it oz by oz. So, for example, in an 8oz bottle, I would start off with 7oz formula & 1oz milk, then 6/2 the next day & so on.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 09-Apr-13 15:57:35

I did it gradually e.g. gave the morning milk as cows milk and left the bedtime one as formula. After a week or so when everything was ok with the cows milk I swapped the bedtime one to cows milk as well.

Charjam1 Tue 09-Apr-13 15:59:23

And did they cope ok and still sleep fine?

ilovepowerhoop Tue 09-Apr-13 16:03:32

they didnt seem to notice the difference and slept the same as before.

Charjam1 Tue 09-Apr-13 16:07:26

Ok thank you. Did you stop sterilising too?

jenduck Tue 09-Apr-13 16:07:58

Mine were also fine the way I did it, no difference in anything.

Charjam1 Tue 09-Apr-13 16:09:16

Thanks guys. X

MiaowTheCat Tue 09-Apr-13 18:44:35

Been doing it gradually for about the last week - dropping an oz every couple of days and substituting that for formula... she's had cows milk on cereal for a good while now with no ill effects though so wasn't anticipating many issues - now just running down the remaining bit of the formula carton really.

I'll stop sterilising when the formula powder's all gone.

babySophieRose Wed 10-Apr-13 10:57:35

My DD 17 months dislikes the cows milk and I have been trying for months to switch. Then I remembered that formula is sweet and mixed a tea spoon of honey in the bottle of cows milk and voila, she drinks it. smile

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 10-Apr-13 10:59:27

I just did it straight with both dds. DD2 is 15 months now and I still keep a couple of the individual bottles of follow on in the car for 'emergencies' or overnight stays in hotels not that we ever go but otherwise I changed straight over.

daimbardiva Wed 10-Apr-13 11:10:13

I just changed straight over w both mine and neither of them batted an eyelid. They'd been having cow's milk in food for a while, so I knew there were no issues.

capecath Wed 10-Apr-13 13:49:07

Our DS didn't bat an eyelid either after I was quite anxious about it! We just did it straight. Didn't affect sleep at all.

MiaSparrow Wed 10-Apr-13 17:34:16

Can't remember it being a problem with DD at all - I think we probably carried on with formula at night for a while. Stopped sterilising at about 6 months I think. It's such a ball-ache and as one of my mummy/nurse friends put it, we're all obsessed with sterilising to the point we forget to give the things a good old clean in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now