Talk

Advanced search

Reading on the potty - bad habit?

(4 Posts)
MiaSparrow Sun 07-Apr-13 21:52:57

I'm gearing up to properly start potty training 26mo DD very soon. [shudders]

But so far she's been offered it at nighttime before or sometimes after the bath with a couple of successes.

Thing is, when she wants to give it a try she'll go and get her potty and a book, wanting me to read to her while she's on it. Is this too much of a distraction? I have to say she's barely done anything on it when she's been engrossed in the book. But she absolutely does know what the potty's for rather than it simply being a nice reading chair.

When I start training properly should I give her a book if that's what she wants? I have a nasty feeling it's going to be a bit of a crutch and will complicate things, but then again it could be absolutely nothing.

Advice please, wise mums. xx

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 07-Apr-13 22:58:49

I never understood the technique of sitting a child on a potty. If she wants to go...then she should be in a position to let you know before it happens or at least AS it is happening.

This is achieved with discussion...there's no point at all in sitting a just turned 2 year old on a potty and hoping they will perform.

I have trained both DDs by waiting until they told me "Doing a wee now" or whatever they said ...whilst they were still in nappies...or I'd ask them "Are you doing a wee/poo?" which opened up conversation about the subject.

Then I removed nappies in the house...had a potty in most rooms, when the child told me "Doing a wee" or I spotted one happening... I'd grab the child or the potty and put them together.

DD1 took a week at age 2 years and 9 months and DD2 took the same but was a little older...not quite 3.

Fuzzymum1 Sun 07-Apr-13 23:07:11

DS2 has always loved books and when he was starting to potty train I would sit him on the potty and read to him and when something happened I would get all excited and praise him - that gave him the idea of what was expected of him. He pretty quickly got the idea and was reliably dry and telling me he needed to go within a couple of weeks when he was about 26 months.

Fuzzymum1 Sun 07-Apr-13 23:07:44

I meant to say, he very quickly didn't need the stories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now