Talk

Advanced search

19m old STILL waking at 4/5am

(6 Posts)
candr Sat 06-Apr-13 20:34:56

Our DS has for the last couple of weeks started waking at 4/5/6am. He was ill which meant co-sleeping with me as he was vomiting so much I didn't dare leave him in own bed and since he has got better and is back in cot he wakes any time from midnight but mostly 4am and will just scream for attention.
We have tried CC, comforting and leaving (he will scream for 1.5 hours till he falls asleep from exhaustion) I can hear every noise through the wall so know there is nothing wrong and I always check that he is not wet as often pees up out of nappy during night. Will replace dummy but he often throws it out and I am not playing that game.
Any tips to stop DH loosing his rag and let me get sleep as am pg and knackered.

Shakey1500 Sat 06-Apr-13 20:38:06

What time is he going to bed? DS was always an "early to bed, early to rise". I couldn't break the spell (sorry, not much help!) and just had to reconcile with the fact he was an early waker.

Hopefully someone will have some advice for you.

fififrog Sat 06-Apr-13 21:29:23

Ditto what Shakey said, but 2 weeks is not really long enough to conclude he's a habitual early waker. We've had two years of it here and from the thread title I'd assumed you'd had similar. DD has gone through phases of what you describe (where she wakes at 4.30 instead of 5.30 or 6.00 and for us nothing helped at all, so we usually left her to it in the same way you are, and it has not so far lasted much longer than 2-3 weeks though they are the longest weeks of your life

Sheshelob Sat 06-Apr-13 21:33:27

Our 17 month old is exactly the same and is coming out of a tummy bug, too. I've been getting him back to sleep with a bottle of milk, as I think his appetite has one roaring back after his bug. I've also found he'll settle better with the hall light on.

Hope he settles soon.

motherofvikings Sat 06-Apr-13 21:39:44

Dd was like that. She has been a habitual 5.30 waker.

Until we sleep trained at bedtimes! smile

She used to fall asleep on us (she is almost 2 and only just given this up! blush). Once she got the hang of putting herself to sleep she suddenly started sleeping till 6.30 at the earliest! Much more civilised! smile

candr Sun 07-Apr-13 15:00:09

He goes to bed fine between 7 and 8 and has good routine. He will generally wake a few times in the night but generally goes back to sleep easily now and I often do not go in but when he wakes at 4 or 5 he literally starts screaming before even opening eyes. If you go in and try to get him to lie down he screams and bashes head on cot sides. If we ignore he will scream and scream untill he passes out exhausted. This morning he woke at 4.30, 5 then 5.15 then screamed till 6.15 by which point I brought him in with us and he slept till 8.00 so was clearly still tired.
His appetite has increased but really don't want to get back into habit of giving a 5am bottle as it was really hard to break that habit. He went through stage of sleeping till 7 for a couple of weeks before he got ill but on the whole has always been a really bad/very light sleeper. Have had 5 sleep throughs in 19m and do not know how I will cope when DC2 comes along and I am trying to bf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now