Talk

Advanced search

Normal 2 year old or OCD?

(4 Posts)
sarahloula Sat 06-Apr-13 14:39:40

My DD has always been fussy but her obsessions/rituals seem to be getting worse...as are the tears.

The traits she is displaying are:
Rituals getting ready morning and bed, things have to be done in a certain order
All doors have to be closed
Any kind of hair, dirt, anything on her hands has to be removed
She freaks out if she's any dirt or bits on the floor
She freaks out when she sees any kind of insect
We've had to cut all of the labels out of her clothes

She seems to have cried every ten minutes today because something is quite right, she is driving me insane!

ditsydoll Sat 06-Apr-13 16:56:06

My Dd was exactly the same at that age. She's 4 now and while she's not as bad the obsessions are definitely still there.
She has never been able to cope with dirt on her hands, closes all the doors on her dolls house before we leave the house, has a really over the top obsession with insects (mostly flies) I could go on..

When she started nursery I had a discussion with the nursery nurse about it and she's not really displayed any signs of ocd at nursery and teachers have no concerns about her.

As far as I'm concerned she's just who she is. I just try to help her deal with her little hang ups calmly and try to show some empathy, even though I think her freak outs are silly they are a big deal to her.

She's otherwise a lovely, funny, clever little thing and I wouldn't change her for the world.

littlemiss06 Sun 14-Apr-13 20:41:56

Could be sensory processing disorder, have a read on that and maybe chat to your hv x

DIYandEatCake Mon 15-Apr-13 13:30:50

My dd has just turned 2 and is a bit like this (with the exception of the insects). For her I think it's a combination of wanting to feel in control, and not liking change as it unsettles her. She is fussy about her hands too, a jagged fingernail when we're out and have no scissors to hand is a disaster of epic proportions! And she stops painting as soon as any gets on her hands, asks for baby wipes at dinner when she gets food on her hands and pulls off her bib and demands a new one when it gets dirty... Some drinks or food can only be consumed whilst reading a particular book hmm. I've been assuming it's normal, I can remember being very particular about things when I was little and don't have any kind of OCD problems now. It is maddening though isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now