Talk

Advanced search

Help me help my ds - frequent pooh accidents

(3 Posts)
babyseal Fri 05-Apr-13 11:15:43

My DS is nearly 5 and is poohing in his pants most days, sometimes up to 3 times a day. Me and his Dad split up in November and he seemed to cope really well with it at first, but after Christmas it was like the reality hit home and he often says he wants Daddy to come home, or says to his Dad he doesn't like living at Mummy's, or says to me he doesn't want to go to Daddy's. I know that the upheaval is bound to affect him, and everything I have done since we split has been about minimising this for him. I can't afford the rent where we live but am trying to stay there until the summer as I am worried about him having to move house on top of everything else.

He had a few pooh accidents when we first split, but since the start of the Easter holidays 80% of the poohs he does are in his pants and he is happy to sit in them until I or his Dad notices. He always says that he "just hasn't noticed", or sometimes it is because he is "muddled up".

I would like some practical tips for how I can deal with this really. He has only had one accident at school, but I am worried that when he goes back next week he is going to carry on poohing in his pants.

Pancakeflipper Fri 05-Apr-13 11:26:20

Oh poor you and poor him.

I think the first things to tick off are issues like constipation.
Then into any issues about being scared to poo on the loo ( it happens! Honest).

Have you done positive rewards? if he does a poo on the loo - he gets a reward?

Some experts suggest that the child ( especially at this age) has to assist with the cleaning up and the laundry. Not in a nasty way but a calm, say little and he takes some responsibility.

My 4 yr old refused to poo on the loo. We tried a lot of tactics. It was very frustrating and hard to keep calm.

There is a charity called ERIC who can give advice, google them.

It will stop, and he will be fine.

babyseal Fri 05-Apr-13 11:31:03

He doesn't have any issues about poohing on the loo, and I don't think constipation is an issue as he is very regular.

I will try a reward chart though, don't know why I didn't think of that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now